5W-20 Ford recommended oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ts_actual

Reaction score
I’m running full synthetic 5w30 since I went to the high flow/pressure oil pump when I replaced the roller followers, lash adjusters, timing chains/gears/guides, and the VCT components at 100k. My last oil change, the dealership in Hagerstown, MD put in 5w20, contrary to my request, and I had to add 1qt at every other fuel fill up. I’m at the dealership in Chambersburg, PA right now getting the oil changed and specified full synthetic 5w30. I’ll see if my oil consumption goes back to about 1qt per 1k miles.
My 06 has 140k on it and I've been looking at this roller issue that plagues some of these engines. How much does that kind of engine work cost? I am not intimidated to do things myself if I just have to pull the covers to get to things.

SafariGoneWrong

Reaction score
Easy for me to say… If you’re thinking about diving in, I’d do phasers, tensioners, chains, roller followers and lash adjusters and a Melling HV340 oil pump. At 100K’, both tensioners had blown seals and both phasers were noisy. Two followers on the right bank were beginning to go. Got my 06 with 70K miles and it was reasonably well maintained. My chain guides were in good shape but replaced those because they’re plastic. I’m about to go in again starting on the right side because there’s now a dinking sound that comes and goes only when cold. Quiet when hot. Runs fine.