97 eddie bauer with huge problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

G

My father bought a 97 expedition in 2000, and soon after we were having electrical problems when it rained. The speedometer would go crazy, the radio wouldnt turn off, the trany wouldnt shift right, the keyless entry wouldnt work, lights on the dash came on, and things would turn on when the truck was off leaving the battery drained in the morning.

After a few trips to the dealer and a new computer they eventually reset the windshield, and all the problems went away. The truck has been garaged ever since, but my mom got a new car, so the expedition has moved outside.

Now every time it rains the thing goes crazy again, like it did when we first got it. But now thw horn and cruise control dont work, and the air bag light comes on.

Took it to the dealer and they looked at it for a long time, said there was a bad sensor and a bare wire in the steering column. this seemed to fix the problem. Well it rained again this weekend and it freekin out again.

Dealer has run out of ideas, and they will only give us $8000 on a trade in.

Looking for ideas, I am desperate. Resetting the windshield helped the last time, but would it have gone bad again so soon?

Any ideas are appreciated.

Thanks
-Ted :(

PaulC

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would locate all the body drains in the front fender/cowl/windshield area and verify that they are open and not clogged with dirt, leaves, etc. Water may be welling up in areas and leaking into the instrument panel area.

Yes, the windshield seal can be bad again if the reset procedure was not done well.

Try running a garden hose on various sections (starting from lowest to highest) and see if you could induce the problem. Might help narrow down where the problem area is.

OP
OP
G

99 Exped. electrical problems

I have a 99 Expedition that also freaks out in the rain. The radio turns off when I put the truck in drive, and turns back on when in park or neutral. The beep...beep.. you hear when you leave the keys in the truck is on constantly (even with the keys removed) and the radio won't turn off. After a recent rain, the truck tried to start itself and burned out my starter. I couldn't disconnect the battery in time. I am going to check the ignition switch since all the problems are related to the ignition. I am going to check into it this weekend. Talking to different people, I don't think it is a windshield seal problem. I hear too often that the dealer reset the windshield and the problems persist. I think it is in the body/hood area. If someone figures it out before I do, please post. I am going to dismantle the dash and check with a hose to see where the leak is. I'll keep you posted.

OP
OP
G

I have a 2000 Expedition, 75K miles. On 1/1/04, I was on a very slushy road. The slush would come up over the hood on my windshield. The next day, I went to start the vehicle and when I went into drive the radio and clock stopped working and my 4X4 would not work. When I put it in park everything reset and came on. Later that day I had to run to the airport. The same thing happened only while driving the wipers stopped working, the windows stopped working and my dome lights would not work, on top of the radfio and 4X4 not working. I pulled over put it in park that reset everything (as soon as I went into drive the radio and 4X4 would stop working). I brought it into the shop on 1/6, they said they couldn't make the problems re-occur (the problems had gone away). I told them that I new there was a control module under the dash and one of my friens Expeditions had a water leak that caused the same problems. They are repalcing the module now and looking for the water intrusion point.

PS I forgot to mention that the heater fan would not turn off when I would turn off the Expedition and pull out the key, I would have to turn the fan knob to off.

OP
OP
G

I was just informed that my fuse box that the module plugs into is full of condensation. More than likely the water came from a leaky seal on the windshield. My extended warrenty does not cover re-sealing the windshield. It is the original windshield.

OP
OP
G

Same Problem

I to own a '97 Expy and am having the exact same problems ... radio won't turn off, all the lights on the dash periodically flash, speedometer works when it wants to, windows stop working and the transmission seems to slip. Of cousre it only happens after it rains, a couple days of dry weather and the thing runs perfect. I am sure there are other symptoms I missed, but all in all, for what is supposed to be a four wheel drive vehicle it sure is afraid of the water.

I have gathered that a windshield reseal, possible new ignition, and other attempts to fix the problem have not worked ...

Has anyone heard of a voltage regulator between the starter and the battery that may be getting wet. It is the item in the box to the back left (top) portion of the motor ?

I love my truck and really just want it fixed ... if anyone has found a sure fire cure, please share ...

Thanks

Tibiko

Reaction score
Originally posted by roeman5
I was just informed that my fuse box that the module plugs into is full of condensation. More than likely the water came from a leaky seal on the windshield. My extended warrenty does not cover re-sealing the windshield. It is the original windshield.

The issue with windshield leakage is documented in TSB 99-2-3.
They don't mentioned the electrical problems, but they state that:
"This may be caused by a skip or a void in the production sealer somewhere around the periphery of the windshield."

So, how to fix it ? - Apply a bead of Liquid Butyl Sealer under the weatherstrip around the periphery of the windshield