97 expedition shakes when pressing gas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jason_CPAPS

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hello,

I purchased a 97 expedition yesterday with the 5.4, 101300 miles. When I press the gas the truck begins to shake and sputter. It also used 1/4 tank of gas in 20 miles. Wife also said it was throwing sparks out the exaust. I know that the coils have a history of going bad. My inital thought is ignition issues either CoP or plugs. However with the excessive amount of fuel and throwing sparks out exaust kind of throw me for a loop. Anybody ever seen the sparks out the exaust due to a bad CoP?

designit

Full Access Members
Reaction score
shake and sputter. 1/4 tank of gas in 20 miles. sparks out the exaust.?

And the CEL is not on?

shake: check
gas: check
sparks: ?

I'd worry about the sparks last... Sounds like you need to give it a good going through under the hood: cops / plugs / MAF / TB / filters etc...

Got a code reader? -- if not, that's your first purchase.

Good luck.

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Initial impression is that maybe catalytic converter is coming apart shooting pieces out the exhaust?! Maybe one or more is bad enough it is creating way too much back pressure?! Can you get video??

designit

Full Access Members
Reaction score
maybe catalytic converter is coming apart

+1 on the cat

I agree. Almost said that after the "?" -- but didn't want to offend -- as a close 2nd to that could have been the stars in her eyes (she saw) as he drove away... LOL... (okay, foul?, -- but maybe not? -- so what.)

Hey, I'll tell you my wife sees things all the time that either are not there, or are easily explained. ?? -- it happens.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Jason_CPAPS

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes have OBD II first inital code was P0300 which doesn't give very much info. Went back to the shop today. I do have spark guess I need to check the CoPs with meter. After clearing the codes i drove ran it till check engine light came back on. I had the air filter off so coul have led to some of the new codes? New codes are as follows p0171 system lean on bank 1, P0113 intake air temp sensor 2 current high input, P0102 Mass or volume air high. THe sparks are indeed from the cat. Its breaking apart. I heard a chunk come out the pipe then found it laying on the shop floor. However not sure the cat is causing all this? I guess if it were clogged it would build up enough pressure. More than one issue going on???

designit

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I guess if it were clogged it would build up enough pressure. More than one issue going on???

I'll "check" my previous suggestion to wait on the "sparks"... A plugged cat "could" be the source of all of your problems?... (BUT) I really don't know for sure...

Maybe I'd run it to an exaust shop first I suppose? (unless you can weld pipe)... Cut it all out with a sawsall in that case then patch it back together after you isolate the problem cat.

Either way I see $$. Sad to say maybe north of 500.00 no doubt before you even begin to solve the issue. -- I had to do a cat / 02 before I even got to my motor myself.

Good luck.

OP
OP
J

Jason_CPAPS

Full Access Members
Reaction score
at the price I got the truck i've got a little wiggle room. Would like to get it fixed before reaching 1000 tho. No need for an exaust shop. I do know which cat it is and will be doing the welding. Also can pick a cat up under 100 so i'm pretty stoked at that. I"m for sure taking care of this issue. If anyone else has anything feel free ot chime in. Thanks for all the advice so far

OP
OP
J

Jason_CPAPS

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So today changed CoP and plugs. Still runs like poop. Now my temp gauge isn't working as well as my oil pressure gauge. Also oil light is on. Maybe i left something unplugged?