97 expo dont run right

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

markanthony

Full Access Members
Reaction score
IMO. You are dealing with the rear aftermath of the gutted cats. The o2's are reading to much fuel, and not sending fuel into the system. This would be the cause to the low rpm.
I also think. The exhaust has some back pressure in it. If their is not enough or none at all. It wont run right. I would hook up the complete system while running the truck. This just helps take one thing out of the problem.
my steps would be..
1. hook up exhaust complete
2. pull o2's and soak the ends in a bat of paint thinner.
3. check fuel filter, fuel line pressure. (their should be a valve on the fuel rail. if fuel squirts out while key on. their is good enough pressure.)
4. pull o2's out of bat and let dry... bout an hour.
5. install o2's.
6. look to see if their may be a blockage in the last part of the exhaust.

I would think the main reason the truck does not move around is from the engine not running right.

I would also start to think that the engine could have a bigger problem. Like a bad head gasket, or a head problem....

OP
OP
S

strokin393

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok, had truck running and ran a whole lot better it has no codes and don't know why. Check engine light don't come on. I unhooked injectors one by one on passenger side and truck ran no diff and I did same on driver side and it did what it should do, idle down. What could be wrong with the truck??? What should I do or test and how? Thanks

Anyone know how to tell if its the injectors that are all bad on that side or the coilpacks? How would I know which one it is so I can replace either the injectors or packs? Could something be crossed or anything? What should I check and how?

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

strokin393

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok, had truck running and ran a whole lot better it has no codes and don't know way. Check engine light don't come on. I unhooked injectors one by one on passenger side and truck ran no diff and I did same on driver side and it did what it should do, idle down. What could be wrong with the truck??? What should I do or test and how? Thanks
how do I test the coilpacks as well?

OP
OP
S

strokin393

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Anyone? Could the 02 sensor on pass side be bad and making it run like this and not run any dif when you unhook each injector on that side? Anyone know? Please help before I go blow money on parts I don't need

OP
OP
S

strokin393

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok I change the 4 injectors on pass side and still running like shit. I need a little help here. What could it be? I unhook the pass side injectors and still run same with no change driverside idles down when I unhook. It back fires when I start it. Its not burning gas I think. Coil packs might be dead even the one new one on pass side. What do I do? How do I test?
Ok I took a coil pack from driver side and put on pass side and still the same. Wonder if its getting juice/spark on pass side or can the 02 sensor make it run like that and when I unhook the injectors it don't run and diff but it does when I do drive side. Please give me some kind of idea what it could be.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

strokin393

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Why would there be oily gas all in pass side exhaust? Its pretty bad. I took 1st plug out and it was just covered in gas clean gas.

markanthony

Full Access Members
Reaction score
it is sounding like their may be something else bigger going on.. Like a bad head gasket on the passenger side. get a compression gauge and check the compression.. For a rough figure. 100 psi is a good start. if its more then 100 psi and close to equal. if just one is below 100 one just is below. Then I am saying bad rings or so.. I would work the that. See what they do..

After that. I would go for something like bad pcv valve or some blow by from some were. This would be easy to check. unhook the pcv valve hose from the intake side, or other from the intake. if their is some blue smoke that blows out from ANY of the hoses. their is blow by..

OP
OP
S

strokin393

Full Access Members
Reaction score
it is sounding like their may be something else bigger going on.. Like a bad head gasket on the passenger side. get a compression gauge and check the compression.. For a rough figure. 100 psi is a good start. if its more then 100 psi and close to equal. if just one is below 100 one just is below. Then I am saying bad rings or so.. I would work the that. See what they do..

After that. I would go for something like bad pcv valve or some blow by from some were. This would be easy to check. unhook the pcv valve hose from the intake side, or other from the intake. if their is some blue smoke that blows out from ANY of the hoses. their is blow by..

I hope its not a head gasket. I don't see water or anything in the oil. Could bad 02's make it do all this?