99 EB Air Suspension Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Smoke92

Reaction score
Hey guys, I just picked up a 99 Eddie Bauer 4x4. It has some air suspension issues. The front seems to stay aired up fine but the rear is down. The compressor runs 4-5 times but doesn’t bring the rear end up. I’m assuming I need to replace the rear bags? Also, can you guys recommend to me a good brand or seller for air suspension parts? Also, I’m considering converting it to to coil springs but not sure what kit to get. Thanks all.

brilis

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Get rid of the air bags is what I would do. Did it on my 1st gen. Best decision ever.

EngineerMike

Reaction score
Ditto what brillis said, best thing i've done, massively improved the ride. If I was doing it again I'd go Bilstein on the rear, but coil springs instead of the bags for sure

OP
OP
Smoke92

Smoke92

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys. I decided to order the strut masters kit but I substituted the moog 81149 linear rate rear springs. I just need to get it all installed now. Any advice on how to get the CK SUSP light off after I get the the new stuff on?

tmikey2102

Reaction score
I just finished replacing all air suspension components front and rear on my 99 EB, and it cost me less than $350. Well worth it in my opinion, to maintain the factory ride, but to each his own. Just be sure that after you remove the front upper control arms to get the new coilovers installed that you take it for an alignment. Can’t tell you how many videos I studied before doing that job, and NOT ONE of them even mentioned having to re-align the front end after completion.

Expd830

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just finished replacing all air suspension components front and rear on my 99 EB, and it cost me less than $350. Well worth it in my opinion, to maintain the factory ride, but to each his own. Just be sure that after you remove the front upper control arms to get the new coilovers installed that you take it for an alignment. Can’t tell you how many videos I studied before doing that job, and NOT ONE of them even mentioned having to re-align the front end after completion.
What shocks did you go with for the fronts? But if I’m correct, the 99 EB doesn’t have coilovers in the front

OP
OP
Smoke92

Smoke92

Reaction score
What shocks did you go with for the fronts? But if I’m correct, the 99 EB doesn’t have coilovers in the front
From what I’ve read the 4 wheel air suspension equipped models have way softer torsion bars in the front, and the factory air shock/spring can still alter the ride height. From what I found out, when replacing the air suspension you either need to put the coil over style springs and shocks in the front, or you need to get stiffer torsion bars from a non air suspension model (or 97-03 F150) and then you can just run regular shocks instead of coil overs.

Last edited:

Expd830

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I see what you’re saying. I have the air suspension model E B, that I changed over with standard shocks. I did lift it with my torsion bars with those coil overs in the front, and then I ended up taking the coilovers out because it was too bouncy and went with regular shocks and stiffer coils springs in the back, with regular shocks…. Best decision possible for this type of truck.

terr5178

Reaction score
Ck susp light is due to ride heights sensor being in wrong position or defective. Or wiring. Or fuse. Ride hight module tells pcm if ride height is happy or not

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M Bennett