A/C blowing hot at idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

offutd

Reaction score
I have a 2008 Expedition Limited and just in the last few days the a/c will blow hot after idling for 5-10 minutes in the Texas heat. I've also seen the engine temp gauge get up close to the red then cool back down then other times stay high. I shut the car off as soon as the temp gauge got up and then immediately restarted the car and the temp showed to be perfectly normal?? As for the a/c the clutch is not engaging when its blowing hot if I hold RPM's at 2k it kicks back on. Any help is really appreciated!

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you don't have those 2 gauges to check high and low pressures you will need them to diagnose anything for starters. They don't cost much, tell a lot, and are easy to use.

OP
OP
O

offutd

Reaction score
If you don't have those 2 gauges to check high and low pressures you will need them to diagnose anything for starters. They don't cost much, tell a lot, and are easy to use.
I first made sure if was full with the a/c in a can so my low side psi was in the green about 40 psi dont have the equipment to get the high side but i will go by harbor freight tomorrow. Also any idea about engine getting hot all at the same time do these two things share the same issue? I've read up on a bad fan clutch and was thinking that could be it.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Check your fan clutch, and that your fan is turning, matching RPM increases. You should only be able to spin it about a half turn by hand with the engine off. If you have a garden hose, spray a mist of water in the front grill to cool the condenser and radiator and see if your AC compressor kicks on and stays on.

Motorcity muscle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine did a similar thing on the freeway, pulled into a rest area and left it running on a hot day. A/C cut out and would not turn on, after driving for a while stopped and shut off truck. After five minutes I restarted it and all was fine. After this happened I rinsed out the condenser coil and did not happen again, 130,000 or so miles then.

Mash4077

Reaction score
I have had the same issues with my 2007 EB Edition. Local shop changed the fan clutch. it made it much better, but it still has trouble cooling after idling for 10 minutes or more in 90+ degree heat. I only encounter that issue when caught in traffic on vacation. The engine never reads hotter than normal.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
These trucks without the electric fans need to get moving to push some air through the condenser before the AC can cool well.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2008 Expedition Limited and just in the last few days the a/c will blow hot after idling for 5-10 minutes in the Texas heat. I've also seen the engine temp gauge get up close to the red then cool back down then other times stay high. I shut the car off as soon as the temp gauge got up and then immediately restarted the car and the temp showed to be perfectly normal?? As for the a/c the clutch is not engaging when its blowing hot if I hold RPM's at 2k it kicks back on. Any help is really appreciated!
Your temp gauge might not be working right, if it gets too hot it will go into limp mode.