A/C blows lukewarm air

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NyackRob79

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well, my first year with our 2018 Expy Platinum hasn't been too impressive with regards to initial quality. Truck's been to the shop about a dozen times by now. Grinding noise coming from driver side wheel in 2H mode, which required three separate visits to diagnose, was finally repaired as a leaking check valve. Rear hatch close button was replaced twice now. Just over a year since taking delivery, the A/C today is blowing lukewarm air. All four kids in the back complaining. Taking her back tomorrow. Shop told me flat out they don't have loaners. Maybe I'll go with the Navi once the lease is up. One of the selling points was that they drive to your house with the loaner, and drive back to the dealership with your vehicle to have it serviced. Didn't realize how much I'd need this. Will keep you posted once I hear back. Hopefully it's just a small refrigerant leak. Stil, an $83k truck should have a rock-solid A/C system.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Guess the Ford mechanics don't have to worry about having slow periods anytime in the near future.

hellohithere

Reaction score
Well, my first year with our 2018 Expy Platinum hasn't been too impressive with regards to initial quality. Truck's been to the shop about a dozen times by now. Grinding noise coming from driver side wheel in 2H mode, which required three separate visits to diagnose, was finally repaired as a leaking check valve. Rear hatch close button was replaced twice now. Just over a year since taking delivery, the A/C today is blowing lukewarm air. All four kids in the back complaining. Taking her back tomorrow. Shop told me flat out they don't have loaners. Maybe I'll go with the Navi once the lease is up. One of the selling points was that they drive to your house with the loaner, and drive back to the dealership with your vehicle to have it serviced. Didn't realize how much I'd need this. Will keep you posted once I hear back. Hopefully it's just a small refrigerant leak. Stil, an $83k truck should have a rock-solid A/C system.

I had the same issue with my 2018 before I even drove it off the lot. Front AC worked fine but rear AC was warm even after 30 minutes of running on maximum. There is a TSB (#18-2293) for this issue. Tech had to clear the refrigerant, replace a hose and rear climate control assembly, then put refrigerant back in. I'm at 3,000 miles now and haven't had any issues.

lbv150

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The best you may get out of the center front vent on these new trucks is 50 degrees. Not like the old systems that were 35-40.

cmiles97

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The best you may get out of the center front vent on these new trucks is 50 degrees. Not like the old systems that were 35-40.

Own a 17 and recently rented a 19. Both are black with black interior. On auto I was suprised at the 19's lack of cold air coming out of the vents even at 78F outside running a 65F setpoint. I had to put in max AC several times to get it to cool down the truck.

The 17 is manual ac with very cold air temp coming out of the vents. Since the dogs leave quite a bit of hair in the back. I bring in outside air even in 90+ humid Alabama summers (was living there when I bought it) so the hair doesn't clog up the ac coils like it would on recirculation or max ac. The 17's AC system handled it just fine. The 19's would not judging from the 2 weeks I had it.

Although the 19's cooled leather seats did help a bit.

Last edited:

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score

I have a 2015 Expedition Limited 4x4, purchased new.

I had the front grinding noise in 2WD, while driving uphill (just before the transmission would downshift, as if the engine was beginning to bog). I made an appointment at my selling dealer and they took five days to tell me nothing was wrong (but didn’t put any miles on the vehicle).

I quickly did an Internet search and found a Ford TSB detailing the problem, with Ford’s instructions to replace the IWE solenoid vacuum check valve.

I bought the $10 valve and installed it myself. Took 5 minutes to do. Even through the vehicle was still covered under the power train warranty and a Ford extended premium warranty, I dd not return to the selling dealer - and quit going there for service and new vehicles.

The wheel grinding must be common, and Ford issued a TSB. It amazes me that the “factory trained technicians” don’t even bother to look for any TSB’s for a specific problem. The service advisors are only worried about trying to sell you something - they don’t care about getting the vehicle fixed right. Pretty sad when the customer can find the official Ford fix for a problem online in two minutes.

Good luck with your issues. I am beyond frustrated with the poor quality of my vehicle and the repeated poor dealer service.

PS - My extended Ford warranty covers a loaner vehicle if the repairs take more than 24 hours. But the dealer said the time starts running when they begin to look at it - not at the time when THEY scheduled an appointment, but were so far behind they could not work on it for five days. I use two child car seats in the second row, and removed them and borrowed a vehicle to use from a family member.

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My '18 Limited cools off very quickly with the A/C on max. I'd say within 5 minutes I turn it down since it's starting to get too cold. This is with the vehicle sitting in the sun all day at the office on an 85 degree day with high humidity, so I have no complaints with the A/C.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
PS - My extended Ford warranty covers a loaner vehicle if the repairs take more than 24 hours. But the dealer said the time starts running when they begin to look at it - not at the time when THEY scheduled an appointment, but were so far behind they could not work on it for five days. I use two child car seats in the second row, and removed them and borrowed a vehicle to use from a family member.

That’s hooey. Well, while it may be technically correct, your dealer should give you a loaner with the understanding that if nothing is wrong on your vehicle (i.e. if there won’t be any claim for warranty work) you agree to cover the cost of the loaner during the time prior to diagnoses. I have done that multiple times with multiple vehicles (Ford and other manufacturers) at multiple dealers.

Sounds like that dealer just sucks.

MDEVIR

Reaction score
Have a 2019 Exped Ltd with just over 60K. Yesterday temp was in low 80s, started truck and a/c vent temp was not cold. Looked under hood and all seemed OK, even tried restarting truck. Hour later put thermometer in vent and temp was around 70 F. Took to Autozone and learned about the new refrigerant (1234 something, kit $140 to recharge). AZ tech used gauge on AC port and with system on max AC had only like a 20% charge. Said coolant was fill was low. Based on age of vehicle assuming have a leak in system which needs to be repaired. Decided not to spend $140 on kit and called dealer for apt. On way home duct temp was getting into 60s or at least seemed colder. Any one have ideas on what going on?

Mlarv

Reaction score
Have a 2019 Exped Ltd with just over 60K. Yesterday temp was in low 80s, started truck and a/c vent temp was not cold. Looked under hood and all seemed OK, even tried restarting truck. Hour later put thermometer in vent and temp was around 70 F. Took to Autozone and learned about the new refrigerant (1234 something, kit $140 to recharge). AZ tech used gauge on AC port and with system on max AC had only like a 20% charge. Said coolant was fill was low. Based on age of vehicle assuming have a leak in system which needs to be repaired. Decided not to spend $140 on kit and called dealer for apt. On way home duct temp was getting into 60s or at least seemed colder. Any one have ideas on what going on?
If refrigerant was low that is your problem. When your are driving the compressor works better and it will produce colder air. While sitting the compressor works less because the RPM's are low so the air is not as cold.