A/C in the front not blowing air unless on max

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gruz7

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not a huge problem here but the air conditioning in my '03 XLT is only working when I have the selector set to "3" or "4" and I will not blow out any air on the "1" and "2" settings unless I am driving along the freeway and this is still very rare for it to work on "1" and "2".

My question is how could I fix or diagnose the issue of the air not working in the front seats (unless I have it set to "3" or "4")?

Not a huge problem either but thanks guys!
bacf88df19a1340248c86766abc62928.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
the below is for the manual a/c system let me know if you have the automatic system

The blower motor is inoperative — manual climate control

Fuse.
Circuitry open/shorted.
A/C blower motor switch.
A/C blower motor resistor.
Blower motor relay.
A/C blower motor.

The blower motor does not operate correctly — manual climate control

Circuitry short.
A/C blower motor resistor.
A/C blower motor switch.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Blower Motor Resistor
Removal and Installation

Remove the RH quarter trim panel access panel.

Remove the blower motor resistor.
Disconnect the blower motor resistor electrical connector.
Remove the screws and the blower motor resistor.

To install, reverse the removal procedure.

Attachments

• 03 blower motor resistor 1.gif
    03 blower motor resistor 1.gif
    8.2 KB · Views: 64
  • 03 blower motor resistor 2.gif
    03 blower motor resistor 2.gif
    4.6 KB · Views: 64
OP
OP
Gruz7

Gruz7

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Blower Motor Resistor

Removal and Installation

Remove the RH quarter trim panel access panel.

Remove the blower motor resistor.

Disconnect the blower motor resistor electrical connector.

Remove the screws and the blower motor resistor.

To install, reverse the removal procedure.

I believe I have the automatic A/C unit? Not very educated on all this though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Kindly look at your owners manual and see which type of control you have also the manual control has a knob that you turn from position 1 thru 4 whereas the auto control has push buttons

65comet

Reaction score
Here's a little info on how the manual fan works. A fan motor when connected directly to 12 volt electricity runs at what is considered "High" speed. To get lower speeds a switch is used to send the power through resistors of greater resistance to lower the voltage and thus the speed of the fan motor. Resistors to reduce the voltage will transfer some of it into heat. Thus the slower fan speeds will generate greater amounts of heat. So what usually happens is 1 will burn out first, then 2, then 3 but 4 will continue working because it is sending direct 12 volt power and isn't going through the resistor. Sometimes the heat will be so great from the first speed that dies, that it will burn up the entire resistor pack at one time. The resistor is normally mounted inside the heater box so that, because the fan is going, it will blow across it to take away the heat. Besides faulty manufacturing and old age, another cause of failure is running high heat temps in the heater with low fan speed in either heavy traffic or having the heater outlets blocked with store bags, purses, luggage, etc. that doesn't let the resistor cool off.

RAWPWR

Reaction score
my 04 resistor for the AC when on me twice in a 8 year time period. it sits behind the front glove box. just empty you glove box and then push in the sided and it will open further. two screws/bolts hold the resistor inside the ac/heated bot.
get a replacement one fist from the parts store and then you can see what it looks like..

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
well since his post on 8/27 Gruz7 hasn't bothered to reply back as to if the problem has been fixed or not although I have noticed he was on the forum yesterday.