A/C Inverter 2017 Expy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
Have any codes changed? I know UK sockets are upside down but their current is 230vAC.

Ground on top is safer. A guy came door to door selling asteroid protection shingles. Maybe I should call him back when I get done reversing all my outlets. Think I should turn the power off first?

-- Chuck

OP
OP
HawkX66

HawkX66

Semper Fi!
Reaction score
Jeebus guys, chill. I didn't say I'm rewiring my house to change the plugs. It's pretty standard now when doing an installation to install the plug with the ground up. I don't know if it's national code yet though. "Traditional" is with the blades up and the ground down.

CowboyPilot79

Reaction score
The 101v readout is because of the MSW waveform the cheap inverters use. Anything with an AC-DC converter will see it as effectively a 120VAC RMS equivalent power supply. It will not play nice with anything that has an AC motor or a timing circuit that relies on the 60hz waveform for timing (like most alarm clocks, they will run fast)

Sent from my IN2015 using Tapatalk

CowboyPilot79

Reaction score
Also, since I've already dragged up a two year old thread, the upside down plugs are standard for commercial installations in some places. In residential an upside down plug usually indicates that it is on a switched circuit.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Also, since I've already dragged up a two year old thread, the upside down plugs are standard for commercial installations in some places. In residential an upside down plug usually indicates that it is on a switched circuit.

Well today it might but it certainly didn't used to. They used to put all the receptacles in the correct way with the two prongs on the top and the ground on the bottom and now they seem to have switched them all upside down.
They can rationalize all they want about something metallic accidentally falling down on a plug that's not pushed all the way in but you're only lowering the risk to a 50% chance but I don't get into or care about all that because it's all just some made-up fairy tale about what may happen under certain ideal conditions which may make it a little bit safer. I'm not going to live my life by those parameters.
I do what works or what works best and often the minimum of what gets the job done. I will put all of my receptacles in the old way.
Hack, what would someone do if they saw a receptacle that didn't have the third ground prong?? Do people today even realize those exist?? This is what's wrong with society today people change things too often and they are not educated enough on the old ways that they think what they're doing now is the way it's supposed to be and the way it is always been! This is hardly true.