A/C whistling when button is pressed...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

retrogarage6

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The State of Rhode Island and Providence Plantatio
does the whistling sound sound like an air sucking whistle?? or a rubbing, metal plastic abrasive whistle?? That will determine if it's the motor or not.. if it'
s an air sucking whistle then it's probably something else in the box, maybe even blocked. Since the start of AC season where I work we are seeing a whole lot of clogged lines and hvac units and that could mean you're getting cold air but the blower motor isn't suctioning it thru the blender or something like that.

OP
OP
Gruz7

Gruz7

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
does the whistling sound sound like an air sucking whistle?? or a rubbing, metal plastic abrasive whistle?? That will determine if it's the motor or not.. if it'
s an air sucking whistle then it's probably something else in the box, maybe even blocked. Since the start of AC season where I work we are seeing a whole lot of clogged lines and hvac units and that could mean you're getting cold air but the blower motor isn't suctioning it thru the blender or something like that.

Yeah it is like an air sucking whistle... the blower will work on hot and blow out hot air but then with the ac button pressed on its coldest setting i get room temperature even after a thirty minute warm up... really leaning towards just doing the blower motor myself but at that point i would just be praying that the motor is the issue

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Take the motor out and look for signs of wear on the cage. Also spin it, it should rotate freely without any noise or roughness. If the harness is long enough you can test it out of the plenum.

OP
OP
Gruz7

Gruz7

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The motor sounds fine at all times now but the a/c just does not work... may need a recharge or a new compressor?

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
By the a/c not working do you mean it is only blowing warm/hot air?

First thing to check is the static pressure of the system. You will need a set of gauges for r134a.
Usually a low side pressure of around 22psi will open the circuit and cut power to the compressor. If the pressure is above 30 psi then you should check fuses.

OP
OP
Gruz7

Gruz7

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
By the a/c not working do you mean it is only blowing warm/hot air?

First thing to check is the static pressure of the system. You will need a set of gauges for r134a.
Usually a low side pressure of around 22psi will open the circuit and cut power to the compressor. If the pressure is above 30 psi then you should check fuses.

Thanks stamp before i have it checked by the mechanic I will borrow my grandpas gauges if i can and check the pressure... and yes it will only blow out room temperature - hot air.... no cold or even cool for that matter

OP
OP
Gruz7

Gruz7

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Turned out that this problem was the condenser having gone bad... The lines were also showing a few leaks and the whole unit needed a recharge... Problem is to get the condenser out the dealer says that they would need to take apart a cross member on the frame and it is way too rotted to go ahead with doing that so they want me to fix the rust and rot first then they will go from there...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sounds like a line of bs to me unless the rad support is shot.

From the manual:

Recover the refrigerant. For additional information, refer to Section 412-00 .
Remove the upper radiator sight shield.
Remove the nuts and disconnect the condenser line fittings.
Discard the O-ring seals.

NOTE: LH radiator bracket shown, RH similar.

Remove the bolts and the RH and LH radiator brackets.

NOTE: RH condenser core bracket shown, LH similar.

Remove the bolt and the RH and LH condenser core brackets.

Remove the condenser core.
If a new condenser core is to be installed, transfer the air deflectors from the old unit to the new unit.

OP
OP
Gruz7

Gruz7

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a line of bs to me unless the rad support is shot.

From the manual:

Recover the refrigerant. For additional information, refer to Section 412-00 .

Remove the upper radiator sight shield.

Remove the nuts and disconnect the condenser line fittings.

Discard the O-ring seals.

NOTE: LH radiator bracket shown, RH similar.

Remove the bolts and the RH and LH radiator brackets.

NOTE: RH condenser core bracket shown, LH similar.

Remove the bolt and the RH and LH condenser core brackets.

Remove the condenser core.

If a new condenser core is to be installed, transfer the air deflectors from the old unit to the new unit.

Could be... but the dealer up here was really adamant in not changing the condenser and rad support because they though both things would not stay attached to the vehicle... I guess they know best but it seemed to me that the truck was just fine until the ac stopped working so now I'm having the body shop take a peek today kind of bummed out because I DO NOT want to get rid of this truck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk