A/C Z134A vs. R134A

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

powerboatr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i seriously doubt the lack of perceived danger form fire, using this stuff
I still can't get over possibly risking the entire ac system for @$15 difference in cost of refrigerant.
Plus I couldn't find the msds on the company website. That seems fishy to me.
me to
I tried to find what the flammable gas is. Is it propane or methane ? seems to remind me of when r12 became almost extinct and folks were using propane to charge the r 12 systems vice converting them

i can see a leak developing into a fire or explosion.

not to mention even higher pressures than the current r134...geeze they are high as heck now

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
i seriously doubt the lack of perceived danger form fire, using this stuff

me to
I tried to find what the flammable gas is. Is it propane or methane ? seems to remind me of when r12 became almost extinct and folks were using propane to charge the r 12 systems vice converting them

i can see a leak developing into a fire or explosion.

not to mention even higher pressures than the current r134...geeze they are high as heck now
Propane was a very common drop in for R12. Not supposed to use it but I guess it was cheaper than buying R414B(hotshot) or converting to 134a. Very dangerous though

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
I still can't get over possibly risking the entire ac system for @$15 difference in cost of refrigerant.
Plus I couldn't find the msds on the company website. That seems fishy to me.
I put a request in with national refrigerants for a MSDS this afternoon after I saw this thread. I wanted to give accurate information but the higher operating pressure kills it right there.

No word back yet on the MSDS but I'll post it up when they send it

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The fire risk is really not a concern at least not to me. Many more underhood fires are caused by fuel leaks.
I am into performance vs cost.
I have used the replacements for 134a before. A propane or isobutane blend. They are about the same price as I get my 134a for 3.99-4.99 a 12 oz can.
The flammable ones do get a little colder. So i used one time on a challenged system that already had the compressor and condenser replaces that was still anemic. I got 8-10 degrees lower dust temp from it.
I don't have a problem with them except when they charge too much. I see no reason not to use 134a if its same price or only a little more. It will provide longer lasting better results.

R-12 is king! Screw the GOVT.
R134a has been subpar junk from the beginning and it now gets worse.

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
The fire risk is really not a concern at least not to me. Many more underhood fires are caused by fuel leaks.
I am into performance vs cost.
I have used the replacements for 134a before. A propane or isobutane blend. They are about the same price as I get my 134a for 3.99-4.99 a 12 oz can.
The flammable ones do get a little colder. So i used one time on a challenged system that already had the compressor and condenser replaces that was still anemic. I got 8-10 degrees lower dust temp from it.
I don't have a problem with them except when they charge too much. I see no reason not to use 134a if its same price or only a little more. It will provide longer lasting better results.

R-12 is king! Screw the GOVT.
R134a has been subpar junk from the beginning and it now gets worse.
R12 is king for automotive and refrigeration.

For air conditioning I love R22.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
R12 is king for automotive and refrigeration.

For air conditioning I love R22.

I should have said WAS king...and I love R22 also.
Man, the days....we bought 30 pounders for 14.00

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
I should have said WAS king...and I love R22 also.
Man, the days....we bought 30 pounders for 14.00
Yeah it's down now here. Trane parts had it for $550/30lb. We bought a skid and got it for $450/30lb Yesterday.

In August it was $900/30lb no skid pricing.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah it's down now here. Trane parts had it for $550/30lb. We bought a skid and got it for $450/30lb Yesterday.

In August it was $900/30lb no skid pricing.

That’s last time I saw the price was over summer and it was $900

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Where do you think all that extra money is GOING!!!!!