A/C Z134A vs. R134A

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
HawkX66

HawkX66

Semper Fi!
Reaction score
Yeah it's down now here. Trane parts had it for $550/30lb. We bought a skid and got it for $450/30lb Yesterday.

In August it was $900/30lb no skid pricing.
Dang! That's insane. I appreciate all the info from you and the others. I did decide to go R134a.
Lived in Hahvid... Where 495 & Rt 2 intersect.

Wali4vr

Reaction score
, Does anyone else remember when we converted to R134à from R12? Took awhile but when folks first started converting they found out the R12 seals and hoses and crimped connections we're allowing the R134 molecules to leak because the molecules are much smaller than R12. Similar problems were found on home units as well. Anyone know if the latest and greatest refrigerant is going to have similar problems with higher pressures and will it eat the soft portions of the lines from the inside out. What about the pressure switches that control the compressors,extra loads on the serp belts tensioners idler bearings

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
, Does anyone else remember when we converted to R134à from R12? Took awhile but when folks first started converting they found out the R12 seals and hoses and crimped connections we're allowing the R134 molecules to leak because the molecules are much smaller than R12. Similar problems were found on home units as well. Anyone know if the latest and greatest refrigerant is going to have similar problems with higher pressures and will it eat the soft portions of the lines from the inside out. What about the pressure switches that control the compressors,extra loads on the serp belts tensioners idler bearings

The reason for the leaking issues after a R12 to 134a conversion was solely because of the pressure increase and nothing to do with the molecules being smaller. The hoses just weren't built to support the added pressure. There was a bunch of people that claim the refrigerant was Being allowed to permeate through the hoses but it just wasn't the case.

Home units needed to be replaced because the oil from R22 to 410a wasn't compatible plus the coil sizes needed to be increased due to the higher pressure. Basically needed a higher exchange rate at the same CFM(airflow)

powerboatr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i converted my 1992 f250 from r12 to r134.
i used a kit from thermodynamics iirc...it worked as advertised, changed a fee o rings and insulation pieces. actually it was colder than it ever was from the get go.
i did add a HUGE electric fan on the condenser coil for stop and go traffic.
i do remember getting 38F air out of the center vents easy in hot florida summer traffic

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i converted my 1992 f250 from r12 to r134.
i used a kit from thermodynamics iirc...it worked as advertised, changed a fee o rings and insulation pieces. actually it was colder than it ever was from the get go.
i did add a HUGE electric fan on the condenser coil for stop and go traffic.
i do remember getting 38F air out of the center vents easy in hot florida summer traffic
The fan in front of the condenser is what helps. R134a has a hard time keeping temperatures cool at idling speeds and low air flow. It's a fact that 134a does not cool as well as our 12.

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
The fan in front of the condenser is what helps. R134a has a hard time keeping temperatures cool at idling speeds and low air flow. It's a fact that 134a does not cool as well as our 12.
Electric fans will really wake up a 134a system but for r12 it just wasn't necessary. It was IMO a far better refrigerant

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The reason for the leaking issues after a R12 to 134a conversion was solely because of the pressure increase and nothing to do with the molecules being smaller. The hoses just weren't built to support the added pressure. There was a bunch of people that claim the refrigerant was Being allowed to permeate through the hoses but it just wasn't the case.

Home units needed to be replaced because the oil from R22 to 410a wasn't compatible plus the coil sizes needed to be increased due to the higher pressure. Basically needed a higher exchange rate at the same CFM(airflow)
I can't I can't say that I believe that. I got my R12 certification soon as they started back in 1994 and I've done quite a bit of AC work over the years and some residential like installing new systems and charging with R22. I thought it was common knowledge that the R134a molecules were smaller and on an automobile you don't have any higher pressures with 134a versus R12. R12 systems were always rated to 350 PSI operate around 175 to 225 maybe 250. These are pretty much the same pressure to see with R134a because you are always told that you only charge 80% to 85% the amount of what the R12 to.
They specifically made and started using barrier hoses on all 134a systems just a couple of years after the switch over. This was because the hoses tended to act a little porous with 134a but they never did with R12 and mineral oil.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Electric fans will really wake up a 134a system but for r12 it just wasn't necessary. It was IMO a far better refrigerant
It just doesn't have to be just in your opinion. It's absolute fact that R12 cooled better an R134a. It was the best they had and that's why they used it for cars. I forget why R22 wasn't used. I think I tried to use some R22 one time in a GM system but I had some pressure issues with it anyways. I looked it up once and I forget. I think it was having to do with leaks and all the rubber.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m not a big fan of R-410A vs the R-22 either. It seems refrigerants get worse over time.