A little help please? loud humming

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

01exp4x4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I know the answer to your loud humming front end

I HAD the same problem.
I read all the forums, watched guys replace alot of parts and never fix this.

My dealership had a TSB (technical service bulletin) about the symptoms we both have, or I HAD...

I also, did my front rotors, pads and new tires...
Still there.

Dealer replaced the wheel bearings,
still there,

Transmission guy inspected a resealed the transfer case.
still there.

Then the TSB was found! ...JACK POT!!!!

Basically, the front drive shaft always turns and spins the front ring and pinion. This creates a condition where one side of the spider gears spins faster than the other side. ????? thats the noise???? YES!!!!!!!

O.K. how do you fix it? it is a spring that goes between the gears and keeps the spider gears from spinning at different speeds. NO MORE NOISE.:patriot:

Parts they used to fix it are listed below.

radioreciept_zps24476a0b.jpg

retrogarage6

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The State of Rhode Island and Providence Plantatio
Check your wheel bearings too... jack the truck up and see if the wheel moves when you push against it. Play in the wheel bearing can cause your wheel to fall of while driving so check that asap! hum is very typical of that also, I think i have the intermittent IWE hum going on so I'm checking that out this coming week.

bmerr98

Reaction score
Get the rear end up in the air safely. Make sure to keep it in 2wd and have someone put it in drive. Place the end of a long pry bar or similar against the hub/bearing and place the other end to your ear. Listen to both sides and at the differential. There will be no mistaking the sound of a bad bearing compared to a good one.

I had the same thing going on with my 06. Thought is was the left front hub, changed it, no difference. Ended up being the right rear hub/bearing. Changed that and all quiet.

If I were a betting man, I'd put my money on a bad rear hub/bearing.

Canadianguy

Reaction score
Alright, I've just had all 4 hub/bearings replaced. Still getting that "humming" from the front end (so it seems). As for TSB how did you go about finding that? Was the dealership that pointed it out? Appreciate the help! Getting frustrated.

jdecker

Reaction score
My rear end noise seemed to peak at a steady speed of about 40-45 mph, it seemed to get quieter if i went faster or slower

Canadianguy

Reaction score
Just read your reply a little more carefully regarding the TSB. I'll contact my dealer tomorrow. Wonder if the TSB could be found online?

WarrenG

Reaction score
I have the same hum... I have replaced the both front hubs. I have bought the rear hubs but have not installed them yet. I will report back after I get the rears done. Hope that solves mine. Getting ready for a big road trip and hate the thought of breaking down on vacation.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goff69