AC Freezing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

428HO

Reaction score
'03 EB
On long trips the system freezes up in the dash, I have to switch to vent for awhile, get a nice musty odor as it thaws, sometimes a little water on the PS floor.
Anyone else? Solution?

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It sucks that if you put it on Max AC, it will always blow at it's coldest. From what I understand, there is no way to "warm" up the Max AC setting. So on long trips, I have to be switching between Max and vent/AC.

green03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Your low pressure switch may be adjustable and need some adjustment. You set the coldest temprature by how much pressure differential you allow between the high and low side. I can make the AC in my mustang blow 22 degrees (with my custom refirgrant....lol) untill the evaporator freezes up and won't even allow air to come out of the vents anymore. You need to raise the pressure 2 or so PSI where the compressor turns off a little sooner.
Matt R

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
After reading your post again it sounds like you have a problem
with the drain in the evaporator. your saying that there is
water on the passenger floor it must be filling up to overflow
on the floor find the hose under the hood by the accumulator
and use a wire to clean it out

green03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What is the vent temperature with the system on max cool and low fan while wetting the condensor outside with the waterhose. If the vent temps should never go below freezing. the only protection against icing on these trucks is the low pressure switch. It is supposed to cycle the compressor off before the evaporator freezes.
A little condensation dripping on the floor is normal for me in Texas on a long trip too.
Matt R

green03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
UPDATE

Well I tested the AC system on mine over the weekend and noticed some interesting things. The sysetm will not turn off the compressor even at very low low-side pressures because it uses only expansion valves and does not use low-pressure shut-offs to regulate the temperature.

I guess my question is will the rear AC on this vehicle also freeze up on low or is it only the front?

Chris

Reaction score
Man I know what you all mean about that AC freezing and getting your feet soaking wet I took my 03EX in and they thought they had it fixed but I went from Houston to San Antonio and it leaked again so I took it back but it only happens on long trips. Its in the shop now waiting to see what they tell me aboout the leaking.

OP
OP

428HO

Reaction score
The dealer said that Ford offers a kit to fix the freezing, not sure what that implies but then they tried to say my warranty didn't cover it. BS, it covers bumper to bumper. They tried to say that only covers parts, not a kit. What the... a kit is nothing more than 1 or more parts. I blew a gasket on them. They showed me a paper from Ford saying the kit wasn't covered, I didn't care what paper they had, I told them to get the dealer owner and sales manager out there right now that sold me the car and the extended warranty. Suddenly they found a way to have it fixed for me.
I won't know until we take it on a 2000 mile trip this coming week if it's really fixed or not though. But we're loosing all faith in Ford service centers. Not the first time they tried to screw us.