AC low side switch replaced, still no AC...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What is in the book and what I have observed are two different things. I've had systems that required jumping the low side switch while others didn't. Go figure.

The pressure at which his new switch closes really doesn't matter at this point. If he had a good set of gauges he could fill the system to spec then see if the switch has closed.

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

levdeb

Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys! I went out today and fired up the truck. And noticed the clutch is now cycling on and off when I put "Max AC" on. I hooked up the gauge (from the can) and it goes from ~40 when the clutch is off, and then down to under 15 when it kicks in. And the cycle continues...

I've uploaded a video to my personal acting website. Will post now.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You need to see what the high side pressure is before proceeding. With a low side reading of 15 that usually means the refrigerant is low but could also be a partially clogged accumulator. The high side reading will let you know which one it is.

OP
OP
L

levdeb

Reaction score
Got it. I will rent the gauges tomorrow and see what I have. Thanks again!!

OP
OP
L

levdeb

Reaction score
So hooked up the gauges (both valves closed) and without the engine running I have:
Low- 50psi and High- 40psi.

Turned on the truck and the AC, and low side bounces between 20 and 40 while the high side bounces between 60 and 80...

The clutch is clicking on and off every 2-3 seconds. And warm air out of the vents.

Not sure whats next as I don't think I am supposed to add more R134 than I have in there now...

Thanks again!!