AC low side switch replaced, still no AC...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

levdeb

Reaction score
Hey all!

Found the AC in our 1999 5.4 EB Expedition was not blowing cold. Grabbed some freon (with the gauge built in) and went to fill it up. Noticed the clutch was not clicking on (only the pulley was spinning), so added freon till it got to 35 as I read on this forum that if its less than 20-25 it won't kick on.

Still didn't turn the clutch. So I found a trick on here to use a paperclip and jump the lowside switch. Sure enough, the clutch kicked on. Woo Hoo! Found the problem!

Ordered a new switch and installed it today. Turned on the truck, and nothing. Still not turning the clutch on the compressor. Tried the paperclip thing again, and it turned on.

Soooo, with that said, what else could it be? Gauge reads "35-40" when I attach it to the low end port.

Thanks for any advice guys. Really appreciate it!

05expedeb

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When you replaced the switch you hand to open the system that would allow freon to escape. You would have heard that. If you didn't have any pressure in that line then you had no freon in the line.

OP
OP
L

levdeb

Reaction score
There is a valve under the switch so nothing comes out. At least thats what I've read on this forum...?

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I re-read your initial post...when you were adding the 134, did you have the compressor running? If not the entire low side needs to be above @29 psi before the low side switch closes.

05expedeb

Full Access Members
Reaction score
According to the wiring diagram the switch closes at 43.5 psi and opens at 23 psi

Last edited: