AC not cold at idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My Sequoia had a hard time cooling at idle also. It was two part, it was low on coolant but no leaks which was odd, and a fan housing had a broken mounting bracket causing the fan to lift away from the AC radiator both those fixed and it was cold again.

NyackRob79

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have an 2018. A/C got progressively “weaker” until it didn’t work at all. They had to replace the whole rear exchanger. Couple of grand worth of warranty work.

2018ExpyPlatinum

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I know I live in Arizona, but I don't think mine is very cold. I have the back set at 70, the front 70-72. I mean, I know the Expy is big, but my wife's RAV4 is set at 74-75 and it blows cold, and gets very comfy. If you use a meat thermo, what temp should be coming out, as a rule? I used to know that, but purged that info. I wonder if I have an issue? Thoughts?

Dice Roll

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So far mine gets cold and stays cold at idle unless the auto stop kicks in. That’s only a few seconds so it doesn’t matter as it can easily catch right back up.

It doesn’t get instant cold out the vents like I like when hot out. Our Camry has noticeable change within ten seconds or so of starting up. It’s a 12. Same with other older vehicles I had.

The 16 odyssey was crappy at startup as well. Might be some epa business keeping hem from working as well these days.

FeO2

Reaction score
What Freon type is in the '18's and up now?

I vaguely remembered reading of a new type of refrigerant coming in newer vehicles....

Dice Roll

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Y1234 was the new one I heard about a few years back. You might be right about it being the issue.