AC not cold, plenty of freon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AaronLG

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thought it might be low on freon but the guage says it's full. Whenever it is hooked up and the ac is on and the compressor cycles on for about 3 seconds then shuts off, the truck almost dies. It only does that when the freon is hooked up. Is my compressor going out? Any other tips to checkout?

02expi

Reaction score
My experience has been if the compressor cycles like that the system needs freon. How do u know it has plenty of freon?

OP
OP
AaronLG

AaronLG

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Had a gauge hooked up to the cold side back by the firewall.

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
having too much in the system will also cause no cooling . with 134a there is a fine line have a pro work on it

Kevo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Too much in the system will blow your compressor seal and you Will need a new one NEVER EVER!!!!! use the cans from the store you can not top off the system if your low it has to be evacuated and refilled by a skilled technician with an R-134A recovery/refill machine I know it's not cheap but you WILL damage your compressor by adding those cans. Also not trying to be a dick but it's either called refrigerant or R134a IT IS NOT Freon Freon was a pantented refrigerant made for fridges and freezers in the 80's. Sorry I've been an automotive HVAC technician for 6 years and those cans of "refrigerant" from the auto parts store cause more major A/C system failures than anything I can't count the amount of vehicles that I have to replace the compressor on to fix issues caused by somebody deciding to save some money And do his own re-charge you will spend about $150 on a system evacuation, pressure test, and recharge. Or spend $10 on those stupid cans and risk spending $800 on a new compressor and receiver/dryer. Sorry backyard mechanics but you can't afford the $10k machine needed toCORRECTLY service your vehicles A/C system just take it to the dealer or a certified an/c repair shop