Added tow mirrors to a 2016 XLT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Douglasf1378

Reaction score
I finally figured out and finished the install of the tow mirrors.

The wiring to get all the functions is easy but no intuitive. See pictures below for how I wired it up to have blinker, puddle light, and all axis control.

Please note though, that the up down axis is inverted. I'm unsure what I did wrong there, but it works for me. Pull back to go up, push forward to go down.

Anyway, you'll see that the 4 pins supplied by the aftermarket part needed to be spliced into 3.

View media item 6955View media item 6954View media item 6953

Did you make a wiring diagram? It is somewhat hart to tell which wires you swapped or wired together. Which wires controlled what?

PeteinGH

Reaction score
I had the Trail Ridge ones on my 2009 Expedition. I had two complaints.
1) the mirror lens was very shaky when on the road. After a while you got use to it. But it still was annoying.
2) the whole telescoping mirror assembly would extract about 1/2” out when closing the doors hard.

Tom Schindler

Reaction score
HawkX66... Do they stick out any wider than the stock ones when pulled in. We have a set of clip on mirrors but I don't really like them that well. Wife drives the Expedition and sometimes parking spots are a little tight. She doesn't want those type of super wide mirrors when not towing.

HawkX66

Semper Fi!
Reaction score
HawkX66... Do they stick out any wider than the stock ones when pulled in. We have a set of clip on mirrors but I don't really like them that well. Wife drives the Expedition and sometimes parking spots are a little tight. She doesn't want those type of super wide mirrors when not towing.
I would say the profile is similar when they're folded in. They tuck in pretty close.

Munkiebunz3

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes, the thickness of the mirrors are very similar so the overall width of the vehicle is the same when the mirrors are folded in. Just remember that they aren't power fold. My wife can't reach out the window to fold them in.

JimmyM

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When folded out (not extended) they do stick out wider than the stock mirrors. Not a LOT, but they are wider. When extended, they are about 4 inches wider then retracted (8" total vehicle width). My wife has trouble extending the passenger side when seated. Folding in and out is not a problem.

DSF1

Reaction score
PS
was looking into a steel winch bumper like the one you have (less the hoop) but was concerned about loosing the lower cooling inlets. I tow a rather large TT and am concerned about any reduction in inlet air to rads. Any opinions on that?