Adding 3.5mm Aux Input on Rear DVD Equipped (non Nav) Expy's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DmanNC

Reaction score
Great write up! Works great!!! And I do have the navigation.

Last edited:

bertro

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Will do. Hope i'll find the time to do this in the coming weekends.
Came across this thread again and I must confess that 2 full years later I'm still at square one: a 3-foot cable hanging from the DVD unit :)

OP
OP
K

kmh1596

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well, technology has come a long way since. If I were to do it again, I'd do Bluetooth. I use this dongle in our camper, and it's fantastic. Give it 12v+ and ground (all available right in the wires on the back of the DVD) and call it a day. Maybe add a small round rocker to shut it off when need, though not necessary.

Milennia Bluetooth Dongle https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BYGEVA4/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_0nJDvb04QGZJ2

bertro

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well, technology has come a long way since. If I were to do it again, I'd do Bluetooth. I use this dongle in our camper, and it's fantastic. Give it 12v+ and ground (all available right in the wires on the back of the DVD) and call it a day. Maybe add a small round rocker to shut it off when need, though not necessary.

Milennia Bluetooth Dongle https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BYGEVA4/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_0nJDvb04QGZJ2
Nice! That's a much cleaner setup indeed. thanks for the link!

2005exp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you are using bluetooth, should add "Ground Loop Isolator" inline to stop the thing from humming.

46L281GT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I actually disassembled my DVD unit and soldered wires to the back of the unit and ran the wires through the headliner and it worked great for me.

chadecoen

Reaction score

Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, can't say it enough.....

Was about to do your install with a twist, I was gonna solder in female RCAs behind the radio and a USB charger port to perm install ipod adaptor cables. I know the radio won't control the ipod so I though I'd just run the wire near the cup holder area and drop the ipod in the cubby space for easy access. I was even trying to figure out how to reprogram the ipod to turn itself off them the power goes off!

Man oh man, am I getting old. I am so glad I read your post. No one uses an ipod any more! (My kids have been telling me that for years) I am now going to install the same dongle and going to use my darn phone for tunes. Why the heck did I buy a 32gb phone anyway! Will still need to solder in the RCAs but who cares. Hide the dongle behind the radio and go completely wireless. Fantastic idea man. Bravo!

Thanks again,
Chad

bertro

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've decided to take my setup to the next level and add video! I've ordered a $12 HDMI to RCA Composite adapter off e-bay and a 6ft RCA cable and hope to be able to stream movies from my android phone. This way I won't need to fiddle with DVDs anymore for the kids' cartoons. Hoping to get the gear soon to try it out.

OP
OP
K

kmh1596

Full Access Members
Reaction score
chadecoen,

So glad that this thread helped you! I put it up here because at least at that time, I hadn't seen an easier way. With Bluetooth technology being cheaper and more accessible nowadays, some of it may not be unnecessary, but I still use mine!