Adding skid plates to 2018 Limited with tow package?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
scottdm

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I havn't talked with RCI yet, but based on the prior posts and the RCI website, it looks like they offer only the engine and transmission skid plates for the Expedition. Would need to confirm that they fit the 4th generation as well. The RCI site says they are 10 gauge powder coated steel, which appear to be thicker than the OEM parts.

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
FRY I emailed RCI and they stated they don’t offer anything for ‘18’s but if I was local they could try and fit a ‘17 plate if I wanted to come by.

OP
OP
scottdm

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
They seem to offer '15-'19 skid plates for the F150. I wonder how different the mounting locations would be? Seems like everything but the larger fuel tank skid plate offered on the F150 for the 36 gallon tank would be compatible. I'll probably go with the OEM skid plates if they can't confirm that their stuff would fit.

OP
OP
scottdm

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I picked up the transfer case skid plate from the dealer and installed it. It's a steel plate with zinc coating, so I decided to paint it with black POR-15 since the salt/brine they spread on the roads in western PA is hard on everything. The threaded inserts were easy to install in the frame and cross member, and the skid plate bolted right up with no issues. I'll likely plan to order the remaining skids plates from the dealer to complete the install since RCI won't confirm fitment on 4th gen Expeditions for their skid plates. Pictures are below and include the part numbers and pricing.

IMG_0975.jpg IMG_0977.jpg IMG_0979.jpg IMG_0984.jpg IMG_0985.jpg :

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I picked up the transfer case skid plate from the dealer and installed it. It's a steel plate with zinc coating, so I decided to paint it with black POR-15 since the salt/brine they spread on the roads in western PA is hard on everything. The threaded inserts were easy to install in the frame and cross member, and the skid plate bolted right up with no issues. I'll likely plan to order the remaining skids plates from the dealer to complete the install since RCI won't confirm fitment on 4th gen Expeditions for their skid plates. Pictures are below and include the part numbers and pricing.

View attachment 28386 View attachment 28388 View attachment 28390 View attachment 28391 View attachment 28392 :
Thanks for posting pics, I’m gonna get under mine and see if I have the same holes for the threaded inserts. The plate looks fairly tough, would you agree?

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you go with the factory skids may want to spray them with raptor liner instead of POR.
You’ll gain a bit of strength/rigidity for the thinner plates but will also have the corossion resistance.

Granted I have a 16 so I’ll be going with RCI skies for motor and transmission.

But OEM fuel tanks skids are heavy plastic so I’ll certainly coat them in raptor liner.
I’ll probably see if RCI will send me unpowder coated plates to save a few bucks and raptor line them too.

OP
OP
scottdm

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Scott, glad it worked out. Where'd you get those nice color parts book pictures?

My parts guys texted them to me. He took a picture of his computer screen while we were on the phone so he could confirm what I wanted. Seemed to work well.

OP
OP
scottdm

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for posting pics, I’m gonna get under mine and see if I have the same holes for the threaded inserts. The plate looks fairly tough, would you agree?

The plate is heavy gauge stamped steel (didn't have a caliper to check thickness). It will suit my needs fine for mild offroading/beach driving.

OP
OP
scottdm

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you go with the factory skids may want to spray them with raptor liner instead of POR.
You’ll gain a bit of strength/rigidity for the thinner plates but will also have the corossion resistance.

Granted I have a 16 so I’ll be going with RCI skies for motor and transmission.

But OEM fuel tanks skids are heavy plastic so I’ll certainly coat them in raptor liner.
I’ll probably see if RCI will send me unpowder coated plates to save a few bucks and raptor line them too.

Good idea on the bed-liner material. I had the POR 15 sitting around and it's really sticky, thick, oil based paint. I brushed on 3 coats nice and thick, so we'll see how it holds up.