Adding skid plates to 2018 Limited with tow package?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Would these just bolt in without any fabrication? I want some for the Navigator but idk if I want to go with the Fx4 ones or wait for some kinda after market ones. I’ve seen mixed reviews for the Fx4 ones but I’m not looking to do anything crazy but I go get off pavement and want some kinda protection.

Can't make promises about 4th gen, but 3rd gen parts were always bolt right on swappable across trucks with very different options

OP
OP
scottdm

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I pulled the trigger and ordered the remaining FX4 skid plate parts to complete my install. The only FX4 part I'm not pleased with is the plastic shield that protects the transmission (first photo below) that is covered with felt-like material and the inside has some minor reinforced areas that are like thick foil (think a foil roasting pan). The same part came on my Limited and it's very floppy and deflects very easily when pushing on it.

I did some hunting and figured out that the Raptor has an actual metal skid plate for the transmission (second photo below), so I ordered the part and my parts guy says I can return it if it doesn't fit. I'm optimistic it will work since the Expedition frame has the same mounting holes as the Raptor mounting points shown in the photo.

ford-expedition-fx4-skid-pan-transmission-jpg.28192

Raptor transmission skid plate (cropped).jpg

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I pulled the trigger and ordered the remaining FX4 skid plate parts to complete my install. The only FX4 part I'm not pleased with is the plastic shield that protects the transmission (first photo below) that is covered with felt-like material and the inside has some minor reinforced areas that are like thick foil (think a foil roasting pan). The same part came on my Limited and it's very floppy and deflects very easily when pushing on it.

I did some hunting and figured out that the Raptor has an actual metal skid plate for the transmission (second photo below), so I ordered the part and my parts guy says I can return it if it doesn't fit. I'm optimistic it will work since the Expedition frame has the same mounting holes as the Raptor mounting points shown in the photo.

ford-expedition-fx4-skid-pan-transmission-jpg.28192

View attachment 28426
Tha is for putting in the work on this, I’m following this thread to see your results. That trans plate wouldn’t do much in the way of protection. If the raptor plate fits I wonder what other ones will?

OP
OP
scottdm

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Tha is for putting in the work on this, I’m following this thread to see your results. That trans plate wouldn’t do much in the way of protection. If the raptor plate fits I wonder what other ones will?

The transmission skid plate may be the only Raptor skid plate that fits the Expedition. The front skids integrate into the Raptor bumper and are custom for that purpose. The Raptor fuel tank skid is still plastic like the Expedition FX4 skid, so really no difference other than the Raptor would have the larger 36 gallon fuel tank. However, the FX4 front skids seem very adequate from what I can tell, just the transmission skid was sketchy so hopefully the Raptor transmission skid plate fits when it arrives.

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So I got around to looking under my Navigator and it looks like I have the plate for the transfer case already but the other two look like yours... the stock felt covered thing.

8958299F-8BA6-4E2E-A363-FC5BBF71D9C1.jpeg

OP
OP
scottdm

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Interesting that the Navigator has the transfer case skid plate as stock. It also looks like the plastic fuel tank skid plate is also installed. Is there a plate protecting your muffler as well? The Expedition muffler is exposed and is the typical oblong cylinder shape. Maybe the Navigator has a different style muffler with a flat bottom? I attached a photo of my Expedition from the same angle that you took the photo of your Navigator so you can see the differences.IMG_0992.JPG

Last edited:

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Interesting that the Navigator has the transfer case skid plate as stock. It also looks like the plastic fuel tank skid plate is also installed. Is there a plate protecting your muffler as well? The Expedition muffler is exposed and is the typical oblong cylinder shape. Maybe the Navigator has a different style muffler with a flat bottom?
Here are a few more pics from underneath. The first pic is the muffler. The second is the gas tank and it does have a plate but it does appear to be plastic. The 3rd is from the spare looking forward, sorry for the crappy lighting.
BEF451AE-13C2-4B58-A380-5DA9A2A6585F.jpeg 4EC08E72-9E42-48CE-BECF-7CCED3C0B100.jpeg CF322F72-2837-44D8-BD36-E9FC5D7A068A.jpeg

OP
OP
scottdm

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the photos. I forgot that the Navigator has two exhaust outlets on the passenger's side, which would explain the different muffler design. Fun to see the similarities/differences of Ford's implementation of the different Expedition trim levels and models (Expedition vs Navigator).

OP
OP
scottdm

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Installed the fuel tank skid plate today. You have to support the fuel tank with a floor jack and piece of lumber as you remove and replace the fuel tank straps. The new fuel tank straps have studs welded on them that allow the skid plate to be fastened with nuts. Relatively smooth installation, but I did have one of the speed nuts break as I was removing the first strap, so the nut was spinning feeling inside the frame crossmember. Fortunately I was able to get vise grips inside the end of the cross member to grab the nub and finish the job. I had an extra speed nut on hand to replace the broken one. I also included a photo of the part numbers and pricing for the straps, nuts, and plastic skid plate. It's roughly $200 worth of parts and you reuse the bolts that hold the fuel tank straps to the frame.

IMG_1001.jpg IMG_0999.jpgIMG_1002.jpg IMG_1007.jpg IMG_1009.jpg

Last edited: