Adding skid plates to 2018 Limited with tow package?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Has anyone been quoted really hi prices for this stuff? I was just quoted $267 for the front skid plate that the other guy paid $160 for. Holy crap. My dealer agreed to cut me slack because I had the print out from here, but damn....
I haven’t gone to my dealer yet but I did look at the Ford parts website and found their prices high. I wasn’t aware that dealers all charged different prices. I’ll talk to my Lincoln service manager and see what he can get them for then check the local Ford dealer to compare.

TheDoug

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When I installed the middle skid plate that protects the steering rack, I installed it on the stock fiber piece since the stock fiber piece extends further and protects some wiring and inner front CV boots. It’s a loose enough fit that water can still drain from the metal skid to keep it from rusting out. Curious what others have done. I assume the FX4 does not have the fiber piece around the steering rack due to stock metal skid in that location.

I was going to ask this as well... anyone have an fx4 they can shoot a picture for us?

Reaction score
I also installed the front two skid plates that come standard on the FX4. As expected, no surprises since it's an OEM fitment. Photos and a parts list are attached. Roughly $250 in parts, brackets, and fasteners. I also painted everything with "Chassis Black" POR15 to help with corrosion in the salty winters.

View attachment 28534 View attachment 28536 View attachment 28537 View attachment 28538

Hi, Scott. It seems these two brackets are needed to install the front plate. Could you help confirm the part number? Thanks.

Bracket # JL1Z-6G079-A and # JL1Z-6G079-B

OP
OP
scottdm

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi, Scott. It seems these two brackets are needed to install the front plate. Could you help confirm the part number? Thanks.

Bracket # JL1Z-6G079-A and # JL1Z-6G079-B

You are correct that these brackets are needed to bolt the front skid plate on. List price was $9.22 for each bracket. They are shown in the photo below on each side of the skid plate. Make sure you have the speed nuts and bolts as well.

img_1011-jpg.28534

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey All. This is my first Expy, I'm coming from 6 Jeeps in a row, and they all had some nice beefy skids. There's a lot of parts in here, and I'm a little confused on which vehicles they may or may not work for, and whether or not we have a consolidated list of parts yet. I have a 2019 Expy, standard chassis, 4x4 platinum with heavy duty package. I'd really love to protect the major components a little more, I don't plan on doing anything crazy, but heck, even yesterday traversing a drainage ditch covered in ice (after about 14" of snow), my bottom scrapped. Just want to protect the vitals.

Anyone have a list of parts? I'm happy to shop around, but would love to know or help get a running list going.
thanks.

TheDoug

Full Access Members
Reaction score
5280tunage...

I just completed my install of all these parts. There is a list I posted but it is a little off. I am missing 2 brackets and there were too many bolts\screws added to list. Give me a day to update this and I will repost for you.

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Great thread!
My 19 Platinum might will eventually get these.

The 22’s I’m not keen on from a off pavement aspect but so far I’m somewhat impressed with the tires. Though I suspect they’ll wear out fast given how grippy they are.

TheDoug

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here is a list of everything you need. Please note there are extra u-nuts listed. (I cannot find my leftover parts right now to subtract the ones not needed.)

Feel free to pm me with any questions.

Edit... Uploaded pic of all extra parts I had from my list. I am assuming that if you had NO existing hardware on your car you would need all this.

15756388876948665124804638100705.jpg

Attachments

• Skid Plates.pdf
    45.5 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:

Therabbittree

Reaction score
On the fuel tank skid plate the exploded diagram shows 9A032 which looks like a side skid plate. Is this plate on all expeditions? Or is it part of. Skid plate package? I plugged all parts from pdf into white bear lake autonation and got $759.32 plus shipping total. Would be nice to get it cheaper.
Thanks,
Deo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
OP
scottdm

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
On the fuel tank skid plate the exploded diagram shows 9A032 which looks like a side skid plate. Is this plate on all expeditions? Or is it part of. Skid plate package? I plugged all parts from pdf into white bear lake autonation and got $759.32 plus shipping total. Would be nice to get it cheaper.
Thanks,
Deo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9A032 is a heat shield and is standard. You need the fuel tank skid plate, which is 9A147.