Advanced Cargo Management

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fordalways

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Definitely not that useful as a shelf in the MAX but we flip it up and use it as a fence at the rear when getting groceries so my wife doesn’t have stuff roll out on her as she opens the tailgate when parked at an incline in our driveway.

I had not looked at this "feature" before we took delivery of our Max and once at home, I had one of those "what were they thinking" moments. Looking here and in the manual, I finally figured out how the rear floor compartment lid forms a useless raised horizontal shelf on the Max, but it does also position vertically just ahead of the liftgate and is secured in that position with the latches to provide the fence that rcompart mentioned and is just the thing to keep stuff from fallout out when you open the liftgate.

We carry a lot of camping related gear in the back and so I also have the front floor compartment lid in the vertical position to form a box that keeps the stuff from shifting around.

OP
OP
J

Jay Mac

Reaction score
Well if any of you know how to but this system after the fact, I'd be grateful. I've scoured the dealership, online parts stores and the interweb at large. I can't find so much as even a part number.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
upload_2018-11-26_14-47-53.pngThe shelf is what's labeled here as 45626B...isnt it? Granted: I know nothing about shopping for parts, so maybe that is not helpful.

Fordalways

Full Access Members
Reaction score
View attachment 27761The shelf is what's labeled here as 45626B...isnt it? Granted: I know nothing about shopping for parts, so maybe that is not helpful.

Yes, that looks like it. Flat on the floor, it is a lid for the small compartments underneath, lifted up on its arms in a horizontal position it forms a small shelf, adequate for the shorter version of the Expy with the 3rd row seats upright. It can also be pivoted on its arms to form a barrier across the rear of the cargo area. On the longer models, there is a second lid over more storage cubbies, but it doesn't come to up be a shelf, only another barrier behind the 3rd row seats.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes, that looks like it. Flat on the floor, it is a lid for the small compartments underneath, lifted up on its arms in a horizontal position it forms a small shelf, adequate for the shorter version of the Expy with the 3rd row seats upright. It can also be pivoted on its arms to form a barrier across the rear of the cargo area. On the longer models, there is a second lid over more storage cubbies, but it doesn't come to up be a shelf, only another barrier behind the 3rd row seats.
Correct. Here's the diagram for the Max:
upload_2018-11-26_15-24-53.png

Matthew Hoover

Reaction score
I’m looking for the same part. I figure I could use the shelf to hide things beneath, out of sight from parking lot pirates. I see people have posted diagrams of part numbers, but have you had any luck locating exactly what you need?
I’ve called the dealer and spoken to the parts dept about it. They don’t seem to fully understand what I’m looking for. From what they have found on their end, they have quoted between $600 and $900, which I hope is wrong.

Fordalways

Full Access Members
Reaction score
... I figure I could use the shelf to hide things beneath, out of sight from parking lot pirates. ...

Is your back glass tinted? If so, I found a fabric shower curtain in black at Walmart. Laid over the stuff in the back and it's very difficult to tell if anything at all is back looking from the outside even on the brightest days.

Therabbittree

Reaction score
Looks like there are two lids in that part diagram 45626a and 45626b . If you have a max do you put one of these up to be the shelf? Which one? Almost looks like part # a is the rear most lid and b is the lid closest to third row.
Any insite? Thinking of ordering a extra lid to do the cargo shelf and still have floor covering. May be able to get at a junk yard too .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk