Advice needed for possible 2nd Expedition purchase

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aporthole

Full Access Members
Reaction score
First, what are your needs?
How many kids and how old? Any potential for more? What is the max number of passengers you would need to put in your car?

Do you do any towing and will the new vehicle be used for that?

Second, what are your wants? 4WD, driver assistance features (lane keeping, adaptive cruise control, emergency auto-breaking)...

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had taken the bus 500miles away to purchase my FX4 it was only 2 within 500miles range 1.5m ago. Took it into the local dealer to replace one crooked FX4 badge and door adjustment. The service guy said my FX4 badge is aftermarket. lmao.

...maybe he's right?

Car dealers ain't exactly known for exceptional honesty and fair play. ESPECIALLY if the customer lives 500 mi away, calls ready to buy a truck they can "make" for a few bucks while he's en route, and will probably never-ever come back regardless.

OP
OP
D

DD777

Reaction score
First, what are your needs?
How many kids and how old? Any potential for more? What is the max number of passengers you would need to put in your car?

Do you do any towing and will the new vehicle be used for that?

Second, what are your wants? 4WD, driver assistance features (lane keeping, adaptive cruise control, emergency auto-breaking)...

Why all the hard questions? Haha. Just joking, great questions.

5 passengers almost every day.
Need good cargo space
Will be driving highway and city - pretty high miles
I would like similar options and tech as our Max

I sat in an F250 today and loved it but worry it might be too big for an everyday driver. Probably leaning toward a 2018 or 19 FX4 Expedition or an XLT with the 302 and add some wheels and different running boards.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you can wait till 20my, the black edition xlt pkg sounds rele good. Also, the fx4 pkg will be available on the ltd model as well.

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks and this is great info. I really think I am down to another Expedition or an F-150 but hate to buy one now knowing the new version is releasing next summer.

Anyone ever owned at F-250 for their every day driver?

Do you like riding in heavy trucks? If you do then the F250 is right up your alley. They ride like they need 2000lbs in the back to smooth them out, then when you have 2000lbs in the back they ride rough but don't rattle your fillings out. Our big work trucks (F550, F450) ride better than an empty F250-F350. I love rough riding trucks but comparing an F150 to an expedition is pretty close but comparing an expedition to an f250 is eye opening.

Unless you need to tow 20,000lbs I wouldn't want to drive an F250 everyday. The new F150s are great trucks and ride pretty darn good.

I looked at all other suv's before the expedition and wasn't impressed by any for my needs. I like the land cruiser but it wasn't big enough for my needs, and more expensive than I wanted to spend. The raptor would be fun if it fit your seating needs. My dad just bought a new ranger and it is a fun little truck to drive too.

OP
OP
D

DD777

Reaction score
Do you like riding in heavy trucks? If you do then the F250 is right up your alley. They ride like they need 2000lbs in the back to smooth them out, then when you have 2000lbs in the back they ride rough but don't rattle your fillings out. Our big work trucks (F550, F450) ride better than an empty F250-F350. I love rough riding trucks but comparing an F150 to an expedition is pretty close but comparing an expedition to an f250 is eye opening.

Unless you need to tow 20,000lbs I wouldn't want to drive an F250 everyday. The new F150s are great trucks and ride pretty darn good.

I looked at all other suv's before the expedition and wasn't impressed by any for my needs. I like the land cruiser but it wasn't big enough for my needs, and more expensive than I wanted to spend. The raptor would be fun if it fit your seating needs. My dad just bought a new ranger and it is a fun little truck to drive too.

Great info and thanks. How do Raptors drive as I have never even been in one?

I am strongly leaning toward an Expedition XLT with the 302 package and then get new wheels and the FX4 running boards, haha. I want something different from our Limited Max just to change things up.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Great info and thanks. How do Raptors drive as I have never even been in one?

I am strongly leaning toward an Expedition XLT with the 302 package and then get new wheels and the FX4 running boards, haha. I want something different from our Limited Max just to change things up.

You sure you want the XLT seats? I'm not spending this kind of money to sit on a chinsy seat and have a sore back.... Just my opinion.

taaangy234

Reaction score
They seem hard to find. Do they drive any different than the regular ones due to the different shocks etc?

I don't have an extensive test drive of the other one so I can't comment. Driving it locally through bumps gives us lots of headaches if my wife would of know this before the purchase it would of call off. it's so bouncy due to the way the independent suspension design. On the highway, it's nice, smooth and quiet. Here in New Orleans our road is crap, bumps all over, gigantic potholes. Weekend family errands run gives everyone headaches, and making me feel bad. Other than that, I love this thing! So many things I can change and modify with Forscan.

TKGracy

Reaction score
You sure you want the XLT seats? I'm not spending this kind of money to sit on a chinsy seat and have a sore back.... Just my opinion.
Dont the Limited models come with 10 way powe seats too? I thought the only difference between the high end XLT and the Limited seats (front) is the surface material.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

rcompart

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

We were in the same boat when looking at our next vehicle. Hemmed and hawed between an F250SD and a nearly identical F150 sans the diesel. Had a 99 F350SD and missed not having it for the last few years when picking up cars and towing them home but the it didn't happen enough that it was a factor in our next vehicle purchase. I noticed that the F250 was a "truck" truck and very expressive of it's higher load carrying capabilities at all times while with the F150, you could tell it was still a truck when compared to the expy, but provided a very comfortable ride. Ended up picking the carry over 2018 F150 and haven't looked back.

On a side note, if you do pick up the F150 now before the refresh, a nice thing about having two vehicle that are very similar is you're not hitting the wrong buttons or getting reaccustomed to the various differences every time when you switch between vehicles.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dcleghorn01