Aftermarket? What aftermarket.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stimul8

Reaction score
I recently purchased a 2021 Expedition Max with FX4 package, but perhaps pulled the trigger a little too early. My 2012 F150 5.0 FX4 was used as a trade-in, but honestly I think that truck was a much more capable vehicle. They tried to sell me the EcoBoost back in 2012, but glad I went with the proven reliability in the 5.0. Figured I'd try the EcoBoost next time around. Yeah, it's peppy, but for a vehicle of this size... Holy **** does it make me feel like I'm driving a mini van. Huge car and the engine goes "putt-putt-putt" like a little Subaru. After another 50 miles of driving it off the lot, I just couldn't shake that feeling... Thought maybe I could get some aftermarket products to personalize the vehicle and make it feel more like mine. Little did I know there ain't **** to be had in the aftermarket but a CAI, cheap lift kit, and custom seat covers. Gen 4 has been around since 2018 and we don't even have an off-road bumper or anything! This truly is a "you get what you buy" type of vehicle I suppose. Sad.

Reaction score
Aloha,

I find this an interesting perspective, as I still have my 2012 F 150 FX4 luxury model - super crew with the short short bed. At 260k miles (bought it used with 250k) we replaced the engine due to cam phasers failing (hence my interest in the other cam phaser threads). So it's got a brand new engine, 5.0 liter, which given I had to replace it at only 260k miles I'm not so sure about proven reliability. We have seen *zero* improvement in fuel economy or performance with the new engine, which I found quite disappointing. Maybe I should go to the truck forums and see if there is any additional wisdom for me.

Anyway, yesterday I took my 19 expedition max limited into the mountains, and on the twisty road to Estes Park I put the yacht into sport mode and drove consistently over the speed limit and didn't slow at all for the curve warning speeds. My expy rode tight and fast, way way better than expected for this big thing - and my wife and I agreed we weren't even close to what it can do. We did slow down because my mother in law was getting car sick in the second row. This is with 85 octane gas ... I'm an old motorcycle racer and as far as I care, this thing rips. It's not the C5 corvette I had, but it's way better than our truck. But then, from my perspective, anything with 4 wheels drives like a pig!

However, I totally agree about the aftermarket stuff. I have seen some complaints here about the interior looking like an F150. Hell - make the whole thing the same as an F150 and we'll have all the aftermarket we could ask for. I want an expedition raptor ...

Mahalo

Nate2020KR

Reaction score
There's more than that available. Some of it you will adapt F150 stuff over. First and always biggest improvement for the least money is tuning. There are intercoolers, cac pipes, boost tubes, catch cans, cai's, exhaust systems, spark plugs, etc.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I recently purchased a 2021 Expedition Max with FX4 package, but perhaps pulled the trigger a little too early. My 2012 F150 5.0 FX4 was used as a trade-in, but honestly I think that truck was a much more capable vehicle. They tried to sell me the EcoBoost back in 2012, but glad I went with the proven reliability in the 5.0. Figured I'd try the EcoBoost next time around. Yeah, it's peppy, but for a vehicle of this size... Holy **** does it make me feel like I'm driving a mini van. Huge car and the engine goes "putt-putt-putt" like a little Subaru. After another 50 miles of driving it off the lot, I just couldn't shake that feeling... Thought maybe I could get some aftermarket products to personalize the vehicle and make it feel more like mine. Little did I know there ain't **** to be had in the aftermarket but a CAI, cheap lift kit, and custom seat covers. Gen 4 has been around since 2018 and we don't even have an off-road bumper or anything! This truly is a "you get what you buy" type of vehicle I suppose. Sad.
I'm sorry you've had that experience so far. I was also an EcoBoost doubter (always eschewed them for the 5.0's in my F150s), but wanted the Expi so I had no choice but to make the switch. I will never go back...the EcoBoost MOVES this thing. It's a lot quicker than my F150 ever was, and it also doesn't sound like it's tearing itself apart every time I give it the beans. Granted, I do have a Platinum, so I have a few more horsies than you do.

If you are still in the first 500-1000 miles, I would give it some time. The transmissions in these vehicles learn your driving style and adjust the shift mapping as they do to give you a ride more suited to your right foot habits. So I think, after driving it for a while, you'll be much more pleased with what it gives you.

I think you have the 3.73 rear end with the FX4, so it will feel a little peppier than the 3.30 anyway.

Also, as @Drew Nicholson noted, try Sport Mode as it will give you some different shift mapping. And, as @TX-EXPMAX suggested, run a few tanks of 91 octane as you may get a better response from that too (although I don't think you notice much difference unless you're towing).

TL;DR: drive it for a while and I think it will be more to your liking as the tranny gets to know you.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Seems like the aftermarket stuff comes out after the prices of used vehicles drops down a bit to attract more of the younger, poorer set who encompass that customization market. The profits are in volume, so you may have to wait a couple of more years...

Steven H

Reaction score
Seems like the aftermarket stuff comes out after the prices of used vehicles drops down a bit to attract more of the younger, poorer set who encompass that customization market. The profits are in volume, so you may have to wait a couple of more years...
Seems that way...although there still isn't much for 2015.

Going_Going_Gone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The extra hp in the Platinums may only be achieved under optimal (laboratory) conditions. For everyone, using 91 octane and Sport Mode do increase performance. Anyone thinking about adding anything else to make the Expedition significantly more powerful, might be advised to consider brake upgrades too.

Reaction score
I second what @Going_Going_Gone says about brakes. When upgrading the engine and suspension for a race bike, we always upgrade the brakes as well. Believe it or not, brakes are just as important for going fast in racing as power. The better your brakes, the more you can use the power.