Aftermarket? What aftermarket.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The newer Expy should be faster by a good bit. Any 2021+ F-150 with the 5.0 V8 or 3.5 Eco will smoke a 4th gen Expedition (they are all in the mid 5’s to 60 now with 400 horse and a lot less weight with either engine). But a 2012 doesn’t have a shot. I think it’s just a quieter vehicle and may not feel as fast.

Just so you know by the specs the only engine you could get in 2012 that will match your 2019 Expedition is the 6.2L V8 with 411 horsepower….a very rare truck. But those hit 6.2 seconds in Harley Davidson and Limited trim like your Expys time. The Raptors were slower so they don’t even count. An older 5.0? Nah.

Last edited:

BMW2FORD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have to agree with the brakes - you could never have enough! I just replaced the pads on my 2018 Max with Hawk LTS pads. Overall, it was an improvement. The rears especially since the Hawk pads have a larger contact area as well as a bit more aggressive material than stock. I only have about 200 miles on them but so far no noises or anymore dust than factory. I don’t have any performance modifications but really felt a bit more bite was needed from the brakes which this type pad provided.

sjwhiteley

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Maybe an SUV that can cost up to 3 figures has pretty much everything anyone could want on an SUV? If you are spending that amount of money, maybe you can afford another 20k on bolt on goodies? And what is the average purchaser going to do to really justify said goodies?

most people here are a minority of users, and I don’t see a lot here that are really ********* into customization. It isn’t a large market.

lbv150

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Maybe an SUV that can cost up to 3 figures has pretty much everything anyone could want on an SUV? If you are spending that amount of money, maybe you can afford another 20k on bolt on goodies? And what is the average purchaser going to do to really justify said goodies?

most people here are a minority of users, and I don’t see a lot here that are really ********* into customization. It isn’t a large market.
I agree. I learned years ago that OEM is the best for performance and longevity.

Tmg115

Reaction score
I recently purchased a 2021 Expedition Max with FX4 package, but perhaps pulled the trigger a little too early. My 2012 F150 5.0 FX4 was used as a trade-in, but honestly I think that truck was a much more capable vehicle. They tried to sell me the EcoBoost back in 2012, but glad I went with the proven reliability in the 5.0. Figured I'd try the EcoBoost next time around. Yeah, it's peppy, but for a vehicle of this size... Holy **** does it make me feel like I'm driving a mini van. Huge car and the engine goes "putt-putt-putt" like a little Subaru. After another 50 miles of driving it off the lot, I just couldn't shake that feeling... Thought maybe I could get some aftermarket products to personalize the vehicle and make it feel more like mine. Little did I know there ain't **** to be had in the aftermarket but a CAI, cheap lift kit, and custom seat covers. Gen 4 has been around since 2018 and we don't even have an off-road bumper or anything! This truly is a "you get what you buy" type of vehicle I suppose. Sad.

I always have 2 vehicles for myself and I replaced my lifted 2500HD Duramax with my new 2020 expedition. I could not disagree with you more. My expedition feels nothing like a minivan. The 3.5 has some balls to it and tows my trailers with a half ton load on it just fine. I still have the Duramax but it's now just the ranch truck and for heavy 3/4 ton stuff.

The expedition is a great vehicle and does everything my wife's 1500 Chevy will do plus more. It's so nice having my cargo secured inside instead of out in a pickup bed. If I need to haul something that should be in a pickup bed I just grab a trailer but that is very rare since there is so much space inside. My expedition does pretty much everything a truck will do but more due to the 3rd row and inside cargo storage.

Put a ranch hand on the front end If you want the truck look. They look pretty sharp.

rick619

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Limited and was very impressed by the 3.5 Ecoboost. My trade in was a 2018 F150 with the 2.7 Eco. I had a 2011 F150 5.0 before that.

I was skeptical about the 2.7 until I test drove it. Plenty of juice for what I need. So I was excited to move up to the 3.5 in the Exp, definitely an upgrade in power. Though fuel economy is significantly worse compared to the 2.7.

The interior does remind me of my '18 F150. My weathertec front mats fit perfectly in the Exp. The steering wheel is the same shape and feel (though covered in leather unlike my F150). Electronics are similar enough. Plus I got the Max tow package, so it has the same tow capacity as the F150.

I understand your disappointment with lack of aftermarket items. Though this isn't a 4X4 that you'll be able to do any offroading in anyway. It's just too big. Sounds like you need a Jeep or Tacoma if you want to do some offroading. I have a Jeep for that.

shinysideup2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A bit pricey at $2k+ per axle, but these are very nice.

I've tried Bilstein 6112 and Rancho adjustables. Ranchos surprisingly worked better, but didn't last more than 1.5-2 years after some towing and a few hundred miles of washboards.

I recently purchased a 2021 Expedition Max with FX4 package, but perhaps pulled the trigger a little too early. My 2012 F150 5.0 FX4 was used as a trade-in, but honestly I think that truck was a much more capable vehicle. They tried to sell me the EcoBoost back in 2012, but glad I went with the proven reliability in the 5.0. Figured I'd try the EcoBoost next time around. Yeah, it's peppy, but for a vehicle of this size... Holy **** does it make me feel like I'm driving a mini van. Huge car and the engine goes "putt-putt-putt" like a little Subaru. After another 50 miles of driving it off the lot, I just couldn't shake that feeling... Thought maybe I could get some aftermarket products to personalize the vehicle and make it feel more like mine. Little did I know there ain't **** to be had in the aftermarket but a CAI, cheap lift kit, and custom seat covers. Gen 4 has been around since 2018 and we don't even have an off-road bumper or anything! This truly is a "you get what you buy" type of vehicle I suppose. Sad.

wakeboarder

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A bit pricey at $2k+ per axle, but these are very nice.

I've tried Bilstein 6112 and Rancho adjustables. Ranchos surprisingly worked better, but didn't last more than 1.5-2 years after some towing and a few hundred miles of washboards.
Have you found the Rancho and 6112’s for the 4th gen expeditions?