Aggravations, Ford's retained ownership.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
yeah, but that defeats the purpose really. Process wise, you'd have to push the left mirror button, put it in reverse, let the mirror drop, then press the right button, let the mirror drop, then backup. That's ridiculous. Virtually every vehicle I've ever been in with reverse mirrors, both sides drop as soon as you put it in reverse.

Fizzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
yeah, but that defeats the purpose really. Process wise, you'd have to push the left mirror button, put it in reverse, let the mirror drop, then press the right button, let the mirror drop, then backup. That's ridiculous. Virtually every vehicle I've ever been in with reverse mirrors, both sides drop as soon as you put it in reverse.

Why would you need both mirrors to drop? It’s used for parallel parking, so you can see the curb, which is only ever on one side at a time.

Conversely, every vehicle I’ve ever owned (that has mirror dip) has only done one side, selected by the mirror adjustment selector.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I used them all the time offroading, backing up trailers especially down boat ramps, etc. It's also nice for center parking between lines, yes, I get it, I'm old school and I still prefer to use my neck and rotate my head to look around instead of staring at a screen (I'm sure everyone here has been walking through a parking lot and almost been run over by someone staring at the screen instead of looking around).

Guessing in a few generations human heads will only go up and down instead of left to right, lol.

But that's kind of interesting that our experiences were the opposite. My jeeps, acura, and toyota all did both.

Fizzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I used them all the time offroading, backing up trailers especially down boat ramps, etc. It's also nice for center parking between lines, yes, I get it, I'm old school and I still prefer to use my neck and rotate my head to look around instead of staring at a screen (I'm sure everyone here has been walking through a parking lot and almost been run over by someone staring at the screen instead of looking around).

Guessing in a few generations human heads will only go up and down instead of left to right, lol.

But that's kind of interesting that our experiences were the opposite. My jeeps, acura, and toyota all did both.

Mostly Euro sedans etc - not SUVs for me.

But even then, I would imagine for each person who needs a double mirror drop for off-roading, there would be several thousand who need it just for regular parallel parking. Don't forget, when you parallel park, the front of the vehicle swings out into passing traffic, necessitating the driver to check the wing mirror for approaching traffic. Something that can't be done if the roadside wing-mirror has dipped to look at the floor. It would be a serious safety issue to dip the roadside mirror for what would be the vast vast majority of use cases...

I wonder if the vehicles you owned allowed double dip if you had neither adjustment side selected, but single dip if you selected an adjustment side?

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
My cousin has a 2019 and accidentally hit the hatch button on his remote. He had backed in and was close to a pole. The power motor lifted it, right into it. It left a chunk of paint missing on the hatch. Beware of this problem...

OP
OP
J

John H Haley

Reaction score
You can disable the double honk using forscan: I know it's annoying to have to do that, but if it bugs you so much, it is a pretty easy way to fix it. There are a couple of other features you might want to enable, while you are at it.

Yes, the lift gate is less than reliable. Best option (again, annoying you have to do it) is to disconnect the antenna.

Engine shut off: push the button. Or, there are a couple of options to 'permanently' set it to not do that.

The alarm defaulting to on? Well, that's probably the best way for the vast majority of people.

The keypad works fine without the key nearby: perhaps you have a technical glitch?

Most of these features are what would satisfy the majority of people (intermittent tail lift gate not withstanding). Most of them can be defeated with a bit of work. I'd investigate that if you are so against them

Disable double honk using Forscan? I had it disabled by an independent shop on my 2015 but when I got the 2019 the shop had it a week and said no one had broken the new code yet, try again in 6 mos. I'll have to google Forscan. Thanks.

Engine shut off: push the button - Yes, at least there is that. But you have to do it every time you drive, you've paid who-knows what for something you don't need or want, so some envirowhacko can feel like he's saving the world - a second at a time. And I'd wager that the quick stop-start emits more of whatever he doesn't want emitted than steady running over the same time. Engine stop. Engine start. Inertia. No, I don't believe in global warming or anthropogenic climate change (the name change and the consistent string of failed predictions should be all you need to know), nor do I believe it is anything but the height of hubris to think we could do anything about it if there were anything to it. It's about control, some people have an insatiable appetite for control of the behavior of others. I resent being controlled and co-opted into a stupid move in a fight I don't believe in.

The interior alarm - The alarm doesn't just default to on. It has a new (since my 2015 anyway) feature, "interior sensor." I'm OK with the alarm setting. I'm not OK with, and don't see the point of, the interior feature. Is that for if you left your keys in the car with a prisoner? You left someone in the car and you don't want them to move?

The keypad - Page 72 Owner's manual, middle of left column. In italits. "Note: You must have an intelligent access key within 3 ft of your vehicle." Found that after many frustrating attempts. Yours is a 2019 also, so I don't understand.

Even if there is eventually a way to defeat these aggravations, I deeply resent having to. I'm being controlled by the stupidity and control appetite of others.

Reaction score
3. The foot operated liftgate. It has closed on me several times, and I have never had success using it intentionally.

^^^ This is funny because it is true. The door closes on me all the time when squatted down installing a bike rack or anything in the hitch. Then I can't ever get it to open intentionally when my hands are full and I'm balancing on one leg sweeping the other everywhere under the bumper... lol.

My list includes the rear passenger defrost cable that comes off on everyone's rig requiring a full rear window replacement to fix it and the cheap 2 piece lug nuts that expand, crack and seize.

Fizzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
And I'd wager that the quick stop-start emits more of whatever he doesn't want emitted than steady running over the same time. Engine stop. Engine start.

It's lucky then that scientists have actually measured the emission output and gas usage of vehicles with and without start stop and determined gas and emissions are less. Your "wager" versus, you know, scientific measuring instruments. I know which I'd put money on, and it's not your hunch.

Do you believe in tape measures and spirit levels too, or are those all "environut leftist propaganda" too?

You should relax a little. The world is changing. It always has. You are making your own life unnecessarily difficult.

hqdefault.jpg

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The interior alarm - The alarm doesn't just default to on. It has a new (since my 2015 anyway) feature, "interior sensor." I'm OK with the alarm setting. I'm not OK with, and don't see the point of, the interior feature. Is that for if you left your keys in the car with a prisoner? You left someone in the car and you don't want them to move?

The keypad - Page 72 Owner's manual, middle of left column. In italits. "Note: You must have an intelligent access key within 3 ft of your vehicle." Found that after many frustrating attempts. Yours is a 2019 also, so I don't understand.
The interior alarm is for morons who forget their kids in the car. I don't like it, but if it saves one infant from their idiot parents, I'll live with it.

That reference in the manual is for the keyless door handle lock/unlock, not the 1/2 3/4 5/6 7/8 9/0 keypad which can be operated in Detroit while your keys are in Dallas. The "touch the handle to lock/unlock" feature does require the fob to be nearby.

Meeker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The interior alarm is for morons who forget their kids in the car. I don't like it, but if it saves one infant from their idiot parents, I'll live with it.

That reference in the manual is for the keyless door handle lock/unlock, not the 1/2 3/4 5/6 7/8 9/0 keypad which can be operated in Detroit while your keys are in Dallas. The "touch the handle to lock/unlock" feature does require the fob to be nearby.

No, in my manual (for a 2018 it's page 69), it's clearly talking about the keypad. But, it's poorly organized - I think it's saying that you need the fob within 3' to program a new personal access code. In a section on the next page it talks about "Locking and Unlocking" where you just enter the 5-digit code - no mention of the key. And I can confirm that I've opened and re-locked my door using the keypad with the keys at least 40' away.