Air Conditioning Quits Blowing Hard at Highway Speeds

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
J

Josh1986

Reaction score
Here's a dumb thing to check. Be sure your air conditioning condenser is clean and free of debris. You'd be surprised how many ignore the obvious. Crap around the condenser and you cut down on flow and cooling.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk
There are a few bugs, but it's mostly clean.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
OK, thought I'd check. Do you have full automatic control, Etac, or a manual basic one.

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here's a dumb thing to check. Be sure your air conditioning condenser is clean and free of debris. You'd be surprised how many ignore the obvious. Crap around the condenser and you cut down on flow and cooling.

I agree, but I can tell you mine is clean as it gets, except for a few bugs it sucks up( well bugs fly into it) every now and then...LOL

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We have the manual one with the two knobs. Thanks for the pic!

I'm still doing some exploring by asking a local mechanic or two that I trust that can actually get their hands dirty.

please let me know your outcome...

swagfu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So this reply is a little late, but I had this problem for a long time and just dealt with it. Then I had someone tell me to replace the check valve. Its inline on a vac hose in the engine bay. It was a $9 part at a dealer and took all of 3 minutes to replace. It still does it once in a while, but honestly, I don't really even notice it that often. And when it does do it, I just turn down how hard its blowing and it comes right back in line. Seems like its a vac issue on most. I even bought a new vac canister, but never installed it since its been working 95% of the time.

OP
OP
J

Josh1986

Reaction score
So this reply is a little late, but I had this problem for a long time and just dealt with it. Then I had someone tell me to replace the check valve. Its inline on a vac hose in the engine bay. It was a $9 part at a dealer and took all of 3 minutes to replace. It still does it once in a while, but honestly, I don't really even notice it that often. And when it does do it, I just turn down how hard its blowing and it comes right back in line. Seems like its a vac issue on most. I even bought a new vac canister, but never installed it since its been working 95% of the time.

Good to know. We're still on vacation and took a six hour trip by driving four hours, stopping an hour for lunch, and driving the final three hours.

I don't think it's done it before, but about two hours into the trip water started dripping underneath the glovebox so I'm assuming we might have an overpressure issue too as one of the previous comments suggested. It was warm and humid and recently rained too.

For the last 30 minutes before lunch, it got warm and humid inside the car as the A/Ce couldn't keep up (like usual), but it was blowing cold again with its normal force after stopping about an hour for lunch.

There were no issues for the last leg of the trip and we haven't driven it long enough this week for the A/C the issue to happen.