Air Lift for Rear Suspension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Goclmbmnt

Reaction score
New Expedy owner here and looking for recommendations to upgrade the rear suspension. I haul a boat every summer and when I had it hooked up, the back end sagged more than I’d like. I had simple air bag in the coils of my last ride, a 2010 suburban, and that kept the back end up nicely. Would love an airlift type solution but haven’t found anything that fits. Any recommendations or thoughts?

2020 Expedition Max XLT, FX4, HD Tow package

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
OP
OP
G

Goclmbmnt

Reaction score
@Expedition Dave - Good thought... I’m curious about the answer. Might be ok because I only see zip ties on one side?

@Fozzy - Thanks for the suggestion. I’ll check them out. Anyone else thoughts or success with this or something else?

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
They do limit the off road travel of the shocks. They will compress a little. They are not a solid rubber. I have not had them come out or break the zip ties. When in heavy mud or salt I make sure to keep them clean so they won’t wear out prematurely and check the zip ties. I have the R/L 3/2 and 35” tires. I have stuck the rear tires into the rear fender wells and caught all of the carpet and ripped it out. These have stopped that from happening. If I didn’t love the ride and adjustability of the CCD’s I would run the ICON’s and spec out a heavier rear spring and sport 33’s. You could have someone make you a custom rear spring. But I think that would kill your daily ride quality. And you would probably have to play with the spring rate multiple times to get it right. This makes the Sumo’s a no brainer until Ford goes back to the air bag. Cheap and effective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haakon

Reaction score
I also use the Sumo Springs on my 2018 Max Limited. Have towed trailers to CO and up mountain dirt/rock roads (I use the term road very loosely) without issue. They definitely help with some of the sagging of a heavy trailer or boat. Very happy with them so far.

mwl001

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I also use the Sumo Springs on my 2018 Max Limited. Have towed trailers to CO and up mountain dirt/rock roads (I use the term road very loosely) without issue. They definitely help with some of the sagging of a heavy trailer or boat. Very happy with them so far.

I don't have any sag issues due to the weight distribution hitch I have doing its job. However I did notice some side to side "squish" as well as bounciness over bumps in the rear that I'd like to reduce if it won't penalize the ride much or at all. In your opinion do the sumos help those issues at all? I also have a Max Limited and I tow a 5k lb 25ft TT.

OP
OP
G

Goclmbmnt

Reaction score
Surely someone out there has solved the squishy rear end on these things? My mechanic truly believes since these things are built to tow, they shouldn't need any upgrades, but I had a 8,000 lbs TT hooked up and that back end hung LOW.... there was bad sway too. Admittedly, it was a bit urgent and we didn't fully adjust the weight distributing hitch, but we were fairly close on the setup.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
check coilovers.com as i had them make me a set of rear springs to hold 2k lbs over oem rating and check strutmasters.com