Air suspension conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AAB1975

Reaction score
So I've read through what I think are all of the air suspension conversion threads, and I want to make sure I haven't missed anything. Am I correct in understanding that the only option specifically for an "EL" is the Strutmasters coil over strut kit? One of the threads referred to the reason the non-EL conversion won't work is due to the heavier load weight of the EL. If it matters, mine is a 2010 EL Limited.

And on a related note, what would be better for towing, coil conversion or air? I bought my Expy specifically to pull a 24' travel trailer, and in the near future, I'll also pull an open car hauler trailer with my old Ford on it. Knowing this, which is going to give me the best stability and control? Or does it matter?

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if air would be better per say...in theory u would think the springs will sag and the air wouldn't...it will still drop on air...u will need an air leveling kit to air up the rear more under load...in regards to the conversion...I would say to call the companies and ask them...I don't think the extra length is that much weight that it wont work...or work under load...or create that much stress...suncore...strutmasters...arnott...and a couple of others I cant remember off top...theyre the experts and would give u first hand answers...good luck

bk100

Reaction score
I just went through this myself I called strutmasters and they told me that the difference is in the weight for the el and the other companies wont warranty if there struts fail due to the wrong application. The other companies will fit but they said over time they will sag. Sounded weird since I think the weight difference is 300 to 600 pounds which I didn't think was a lot either
sucks cause strutmasters charge a premium for theirs

JDMitchell

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am wanting to do this conversion also with a little lift added. Probably in the 2-3 inch range. I just want enough to clear 33 inch tires and not have any air suspension failures. I have a 2007 EL and am leaning towards the strutmasters kit, but hopefully I can find an option that is just as good for less money.

Sent from my SM-N900R4 using Tapatalk

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
According to Ford:
A 2WD EL model is 297 pounds heavier than a 2WD non-EL.
A 4X4 EL model is 257 pounds heavier than a 4X4 non-EL.

And according to Lincoln:
A 2WD L model is 234 pounds heavier than a 2WD non-L.
A 4x4 L model is 228 pounds heavier than a 4x4 non-L

Insignificant difference considering we are talking about 5600-6100 pound vehicles to begin with.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
right...300lbs is crazy cuz u can put 2 adults in the 3rd row and have 300 lbs...I don't think there will be a prob

JDMitchell

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Anybody have input on a high quality conversion kit with 2-3 inches of lift without the $1000 price tag of Strutmasters?

Sent from my SM-N900R4 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
A

AAB1975

Reaction score
I just talked to a tech at Arnott. First, let me say their customer service and knowledge is awesome! I understand why they are always so highly recommended. Also, here's what I learned. Their coil conversion kit say's "not compatible with EL" but, they will actually work. The problem isn't related to the fitment or slightly heavier load, but rather that the EBM (Electronic Bypass Module) that comes with their kit does not work on the EL model. I'm not sure why it would be different from the standard wheelbase, but this is why according to two of their techs. So if the dash warning doesn't bother you, you could use this conversion.

As for towing, they also didn't recommend doing the conversion. For heavier loads, they say the air suspension is a much better setup. Since I'm looking at towing with 400-600 lbs. of tongue weight, I think I may suck it up, and just fix my air suspension (with better parts of course).

OP
OP
A

AAB1975

Reaction score
As for towing, they also didn't recommend doing the conversion. For heavier loads, they say the air suspension is a much better setup. Since I'm looking at towing with 400-600 lbs. of tongue weight, I think I may suck it up, and just fix my air suspension (with better parts of course).

I called Suncore too, I talked to tech support, and they said the same about towing - keep the air suspension.

Now when I talked to Strutmasters, I got a different answer, but I think I know why. They only recommended the coil conversion and insist that all four must be done at the same time. I noticed that they, like Arnott and Suncore, sell both air suspension parts and coil conversions. But... the conversions are their own products and the air suspension parts are not. If you look at the air suspension parts, they use Arnott parts and part numbers and say "call for pricing." So my thinking is, of course they want to sell their own stuff for a bigger mark-up!