Air suspension failure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bruce Mitchell

Reaction score
I converted my '99 EB 5.4 to standard shocks in 2016. Used an "Air Ditcher" kit. Towed a U-Haul full of tools, accessories, and an '85 Virago 700 from Oregon to Wisconsin. Never missed a beat. Rides just fine. Don't forget to pull the air suspension relay, if applicable.

princered72

Reaction score
Do all Exps have the air suspension? I have a 2014 Limited. I have noticed it riding a little rougher. How do you tell if the system is failing?

OP
OP
R

Rob Nusbaum

Reaction score
I don't know if they all have the air ride suspension. I found out mine had one when the compressor started running. Then when the back end dropped all the way down overnight and the compressor wouldn't bring it back up, I knew I had a problem.
You can see the air suspension if you look under the back end. Mine looks like metal canisters between the differential and each rear wheel. If you look close you can see the air line going to it.

bigdadbear

Reaction score
I had 2 of my 2oo3 Eddie Bauer Air Bags That would NOT hold air about 3 yers ago in 2018... I had found ON-LINE that It might Be the O-Rings
I ordered the Air Shock O-Ring Kits from Arnottinc.com for all 4 Air Shocks --have NOT had a problem since

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Our 03 Nav is due for a little air ride TLC. I have a ride height sensor that sticks and when the arm pops off it will want to sit on the ground more or less. It is a rare thing and hasn't been a priority except it's now cold and did it the ither day. Easy temp fix but it's coooold on the ground. The compressor is also a little noisy but after 19 years I'm not surprised. Arnott makes great replacements, know a few that have used them with none having yet to fail. O rings and solenoids go bad on everything that has them at some point. Air ride requires a but of extra work but my wife really likes it as the kneel height it drops to makes it much easier for her and the kids to get in/out. It rides much smoother than our 03 expy as well.

I'd vote to keep it unless you don't really care about the "finer things" it offers, only having it in the rear is mostly for self leveling, not so much with regards to ride comfort, it probably helps the people more in the back if anything. If its just for trailering then a spring conversion may be the cheaper option, depending on what exactly you go with. There is a decent 3rd party market for the air springs and the like now. No more forced to spending $700 per wheel

bloodhound

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do all Exps have the air suspension? I have a 2014 Limited. I have noticed it riding a little rougher. How do you tell if the system is failing?
No, it was optional. If you have it you would hear the compressor under the hood come on from time to time. Also, you can just look at the rear end and see the air bags. You probably just have worn out shocks.