ALF, ILC, Batt voltage 14.5v??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DJ04

Reaction score
I have copies of 2004 Ford Expedition Service Books, one of which is on DTCs and one DTC # P0620 - Generator Control Circuit Failure, describes the situation thusly:
"The PCM reads the I-Line (or the ALF) and sends a DTC through the network when the I-Line (or ALF) indicates a fault." The next column lists Possible Causes:
Among which are various possible problems with the ILC circuit and the ALF circuit. What are those?
The last column has Diagnostic Aides, one of which says: Verify battery voltage is 14.5V". What's going on there?
I can't find any info on ALF and ILC, not even in the Acronyms and Definitions section of the 2004 Powertrain Control/Emissions Diagnosis book, and I am confused about battery voltage being so high.
And so, experts, please enlighten me!

Reaction score
Ugh = been lurking here for a while ~ I'm in Central Virginia [Forest] ~ a proud owner of a

"mechanic's special" 2008 XLT 4x4 ~ Thought now would be good time to welcome myself

to the "Forum" seemingly a civilized bunch & guess this is ok => So - I'm the eldest son of

an electronics engineer (I'm also university educated) and have what we call 2 copies of the

"Ford" gene {my experience goes back to our beloved '55 Fairlane which had a generator}

ILC = Load Input Connector & ALF = ALternator Field Frequency => obviously, this is all

completely unnecessary and serves to support the maddingly innovative "idiot light"

Seriously, Ford's not that much better idea calls for a "Smart Charging System" The SAE

{society of automotive engineers} are notorious for cryptic acronyms (automotive electrical

engineers even more so) Wonderfully, the "bit freaks" have even provided for a second

alternator (guess I'll save that for later) I'm busy and will just paste some info here = hope

this provides some enlightenment ! Skoal ! ~ J ~

Functional scope1. Charge voltage regulation and calculation of battery temperatureSince warm batteries are more efficiently charged with low voltage and coldbatteries with higher voltage, the charge voltage is adapted by the PCMdepending on the battery temperature. Reference parameters for calculation ofthe battery temperature are intake air and coolant temperature.The battery charging current is optimised through permanent calculation of thebattery temperature and adjustment of the alternator output voltage.2. Alternator switch-off when engine startedWhen the engine is started, the alternator is deactivated by the PCM to reduce the engine dragtorque. The alternator is only switched to the required valueelectronically by the PCM after the engine has been started up.3. Increasing idling speed at low voltage and high electrical load.When the battery charge is very low or the electrical load in idling is very high,the PCM can gradually increase the speed up to 150 rpm in order to increase thealternator performance.4. Advance notification function for alternator loadThe PCM receives information about imminent electrical load from thealternator via the signal cable, and can thus compensate the alternator torqueto be expected by increased idling speed.The PCM can guarantee greater idling stability on the basis of thisinformation. By monitoring the vehicle electric system voltage, the PCM canchange the charge current by changing the pulse-width modulated signal to thealternator.

5. Activating or deactivating electrical consumersBy linking the PCM with the central electronics module, the followingconsumers are activated or deactivated in the event of overvoltageor undervoltage depending on battery voltage:• Heated windscreen• Heated rear window• Air-conditioning system (if appropriate)• Auxiliary heater (if appropriate)The low-voltage limit is around 10.3 V, the overvoltagelimit around 16.0 V.Damage caused by excessive vehicle battery charge is reduced by activatingindividual consumers, and at the same time the charge voltage is kept withinthespecification. Switching the consumers on increases the engine load and thusserves to support the control unit at the same time in the warm-up phase. If thebattery voltage falls below the limit value, the consumers are deactivated againto prevent excessive discharging of the battery.6. Diagnosis and limp-home functionThe diagnosis possibility of the Smart Charge system is implemented throughtheengine control unit (PCM)System faults are stored in the engine control unit and can be read out using adiagnostic unit. After the ignition has been switched onthe system carries out a self-test. If a fault is detected in the “Smart Charge”system during the self-test, the charge control lamp is not switched off. Thealternator is operated at a fixed charge voltage of 13.5 V if voltage regulation isnot possible on account of the reason for the fault. This enables the alternatorto generate enough current to supply the vehicle systems.During driving, the charge control lamp is only switched on if the PCM detectsthe following faults:• Impermissible voltage• Internal alternator fault• Communication fault PCM/alternator

OP
OP
DJ04

DJ04

Reaction score
That's a lot of good information.
Factory Navigation system has been mentioned numerous times. With that system is a 135 AMP alternator needed? The Ford Parts online system calls out a 110 AMP unit. What's going on? I am confused. 2004 Expe, Eddie Bauer, 5.4 L 4x4 with Factory Nav, fancy radio with 6 CD changer.

Ugh = been lurking here for a while ~ I'm in Central Virginia [Forest] ~ a proud owner of a

"mechanic's special" 2008 XLT 4x4 ~ Thought now would be good time to welcome myself

to the "Forum" seemingly a civilized bunch & guess this is ok => So - I'm the eldest son of

an electronics engineer (I'm also university educated) and have what we call 2 copies of the

"Ford" gene {my experience goes back to our beloved '55 Fairlane which had a generator}

ILC = Load Input Connector & ALF = ALternator Field Frequency => obviously, this is all

completely unnecessary and serves to support the maddingly innovative "idiot light"

Seriously, Ford's not that much better idea calls for a "Smart Charging System" The SAE

{society of automotive engineers} are notorious for cryptic acronyms (automotive electrical

engineers even more so) Wonderfully, the "bit freaks" have even provided for a second

alternator (guess I'll save that for later) I'm busy and will just paste some info here = hope

Functional scope1. Charge voltage regulation and calculation of battery temperatureSince warm batteries are more efficiently charged with low voltage and coldbatteries with higher voltage, the charge voltage is adapted by the PCMdepending on the battery temperature. Reference parameters for calculation ofthe battery temperature are intake air and coolant temperature.The battery charging current is optimised through permanent calculation of thebattery temperature and adjustment of the alternator output voltage.2. Alternator switch-off when engine startedWhen the engine is started, the alternator is deactivated by the PCM to reduce the engine dragtorque. The alternator is only switched to the required valueelectronically by the PCM after the engine has been started up.3. Increasing idling speed at low voltage and high electrical load.When the battery charge is very low or the electrical load in idling is very high,the PCM can gradually increase the speed up to 150 rpm in order to increase thealternator performance.4. Advance notification function for alternator loadThe PCM receives information about imminent electrical load from thealternator via the signal cable, and can thus compensate the alternator torqueto be expected by increased idling speed.The PCM can guarantee greater idling stability on the basis of thisinformation. By monitoring the vehicle electric system voltage, the PCM canchange the charge current by changing the pulse-width modulated signal to thealternator.

5. Activating or deactivating electrical consumersBy linking the PCM with the central electronics module, the followingconsumers are activated or deactivated in the event of overvoltageor undervoltage depending on battery voltage:• Heated windscreen• Heated rear window• Air-conditioning system (if appropriate)• Auxiliary heater (if appropriate)The low-voltage limit is around 10.3 V, the overvoltagelimit around 16.0 V.Damage caused by excessive vehicle battery charge is reduced by activatingindividual consumers, and at the same time the charge voltage is kept withinthespecification. Switching the consumers on increases the engine load and thusserves to support the control unit at the same time in the warm-up phase. If thebattery voltage falls below the limit value, the consumers are deactivated againto prevent excessive discharging of the battery.6. Diagnosis and limp-home functionThe diagnosis possibility of the Smart Charge system is implemented throughtheengine control unit (PCM)System faults are stored in the engine control unit and can be read out using adiagnostic unit. After the ignition has been switched onthe system carries out a self-test. If a fault is detected in the “Smart Charge”system during the self-test, the charge control lamp is not switched off. Thealternator is operated at a fixed charge voltage of 13.5 V if voltage regulation isnot possible on account of the reason for the fault. This enables the alternatorto generate enough current to supply the vehicle systems.During driving, the charge control lamp is only switched on if the PCM detectsthe following faults:• Impermissible voltage• Internal alternator fault• Communication fault PCM/alternator
That's a lot of good information. I have hesitated to buy a ODBII scanner partly because a cheap one may tell me all I need to know and partly because of my fear that it won't. The Shop Manuals list all sorts of pinpoint tests, of course only useful if the system is acting up.
I'm still not clear about the 14.5V as a parameter.
I can now recreate the Check Charging System light, battery light fault. I can drive around for say, 10 miles and then come home, shut off the motor, restart it and get the faults and I get lower voltage at the battery terminals (11. something) with the engine running than I do with the engine off, key off (12.something - left the charger on trickle all night). So what is happening is that when it gets hot the gererator is taking voltage from the battery instead of the other way around. A bad diode would do that, wouldn't it? But are diode failures intermittent?
After the vehicle sits for a wile it starts and runs normally. Cycle described above can be repeated.

Reaction score
Suspect the best advice you are going to get is what I've already gleaned here and/or

experienced (1) Looking @ the stock battery cables / clamps of my 2008 = seem cheap

and will upgrade them (2) available batterys are expensive for what you get => my

experiences with top of the line WaLMart branded have deteriorated with the typical

failure being a dead cell just out of warranty So I'm presently thinking about dual batterys

installed in parallel for my project (still sticking w/ Walmart) Saw some posts here about

offgrid Expy camping here recently and wonder how dual alternators could install [the PCM

is ready for them) (3) amzn prime day starts tomorrow perhaps get a copy of Don Quixote

and a John Fluke automotive multimeter? Naw ~ I'm getting a Forscan cable ~ $25 and

ruggedizing an obsolete Dell Laptop [preloading Ford Tech Manuloco videos on it via

Real.com realcapture = free] I also got a nice cheap set of official 2009 paper manuals

[including wiring manual] from some outfit in Kentucky on eBay => still busy & best of

luck ~ J ~

Reaction score
Hot here [My Noorse Boskat Scheherazade hates the AC => can't smell Los Coyotes about]

Suspect that 14.5 V. is a typo and should be the limp home (default) 13.5 ~ That 11.8 you

are getting almost certainly points to a dead cell [in summer most V8s w/ a heavy duty

battery will start with a dead or dying cell] nowadays doubtful that adding electrolyte will

cure a dead cell [yet not impossible] FYI decent multimeters are mighty accurate = a quick

test of a healthy battery while running @ idle = 12.9 V. @ the battery terminals . . .

JChan

Reaction score
I have a 2004 as well. This is direct from the factory power train manual. I am hoping you can view it.

Attachments

• Ford Expedition_4.6L_2004_Pinpoint Tests_PPT_HY.pdf
    153.8 KB · Views: 5

Reaction score
Yep = I downloaded it just fine = this is a well designed "web forum" there are others like it =>
check out the lightning forums and start dreaming about supercharging your Expy ~ If you
have a full copy of Adobe Acrobat (not just Acrobat Reader or an Acrobat reading web browser) you can easily author your very own cross platform documents in Adobe's "Portable
Document Format" = say you want to send someone very high resolution pictures etc.
of your Expy's scrapbook = doesn't matter if he's on an ancient apple cheese grater and printing on expensive epson printers @ work => he (or others like him) won't have to reformat your work to have copies => this saves you postage + time & materials . . .

Last edited:
OP
OP
DJ04

DJ04

Reaction score
Dear "5 zeros";

I have read and reread what you posted. My Expy is a 2004, a 2nd gen. I think your 2008 is a 3rd gen isn't it? I don't think my Expy has the "Smart Charge" system. I'm not certain of that though.
However, in general a lot of what you posted applies to my gen2 Expy I believe. I don't think my Expy has a "limp home" mode although on two occasions I have manually limped home!
I have read about battery voltage and battery temperature although I am not completely clear about the relationship between a battery just sitting in a vehicle and the ambient temperature outside of the vehicle. I also had not heard about PCM voltage varying with air and coolant temperatures. Is that a "Smart Charge" system characteristic? I have not read that in my Ford Service Manuals. Perhaps I have not been looking in the right places.
RE a possible dead cell in the battery: I had it tested at the local Ford dealer and it came up as being good. Is it possible that the test instrument the dealer used can't detect a dead cell?
I am suspicious that my alternator is bad because even when the "check charging system" light is not on it fails a test from the Service Manual. That test is a check of voltage drop between the output terminal of the alternator and the positive pole of the battery. The book says that a drop of less than .5 Volts, or 500 mV (millivolts) points to a bad alternator. I got around 110 mV or so, at 2000 RPM under load (high bean headlights, climate control fan top speed, rear window defroster on). When the "check Charging system" light came on I got only 2.4 mV. Both figures are well below .5 V (500 mV). Am I missing something here?

From a 1975 Ford Instructional film I got the following advice: 1. check base batt voltage 2. check no load voltage engine running, look for 2V or less increase 3. Full load 2000 RPM look for increase over base up to .5V. From 2004 Ford Workshop Manual test for The Charging System Warning Indicator is on with the engine running (the charging system voltage does not increase) There are 5 "B" tests, the last one is the voltage drop test outlined above.

In all fairness I must admit that there are three tests involving the other alternator connections. I don't know how to get that connector off the alternator - the book says that it is a new style connector but does not show how to make it release.

DJ04

completely unnecessary and serves to support the maddeningly innovative "idiot light"

Hot here [My Noorse Boskat Scheherazade hates the AC => can't smell Los Coyotes about]

Suspect that 14.5 V. is a typo and should be the limp home (default) 13.5 ~ That 11.8 you

are getting almost certainly points to a dead cell [in summer most V8s w/ a heavy duty

battery will start with a dead or dying cell] nowadays doubtful that adding electrolyte will

cure a dead cell [yet not impossible] FYI decent multimeters are mighty accurate = a quick

test of a healthy battery while running @ idle = 12.9 V. @ the battery terminals . . .