Alternator/ tensioner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swstoppe

Reaction score
Anybody out there know how to loosen the belt tensioner on a 97 Expedition 5.4 for an alternator replacement?
Thanks Steve

cruznby

Reaction score
I don't know the answer to your question, however, I will be replacing my alernator soon and am wondering how difficult it is?

OP
OP
S

swstoppe

Reaction score
Alternator removal

Well I got it done- it wasn't hard at all! Just take a 1/2 inch drive bar insert it in the square peg at the tension wheel and pull the tensioner loose! With the other hand (or a friend) slip the belt off the alt, take the 3 bolts off the alt (10 mm heads- 2 at the bottom and one on the upper plate, at the upper back of the alt) and it is loose! Then just take the 10 mm wrench take off battery wire and lift the plastic keeper on the other 2 connectors (you may need needle nose pliers on 1- I did!) and bingo- there you go!

Hope it helps!
Steve

dyurkosr

Reaction score
Make sure you disconect the battery first. Dropping the main line from the alternator against the block or grounding it with a wrench will create an issue!