Alternator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Ulver

Ulver

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You'll figure it out. I'd run a smoker through the large hose that attaches to the brake booster. You'd be surprised where smoke comes out of, exposing intake leaks. Theirs a lot of spots on these vehicles that can cause an intake leak. You've got one of those cars I used to tell my customers, I need to fix one problem to find another.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

I did the smoke test (cigar smoke through brake booster hose) and found smoke coming out of the EGR valve where you tighten the bolts, and I have yet to fix that. I'm thinking to just clean the inside really good with brake cleaner and put a new gasket on. Would it hurt to just place the new gasket on in addition to the current one, so that it's a double gasket?

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You could I guess, but that's a fairly easy one to clean. I like using a razor blade on the end of a window sticker remover. Then 120 grit Emery cloth the last part. Pretty good that's the only leak you've got. Most members say theirs looks like my San Francisco fog in July when they smoke theirs.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Ulver

Ulver

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Haha well, ive had my fair share. I've sealed up other vacuum leaks prior to this one. The last one being the intake and it going worse after that. I think part of what's making it go bonkers is that the computer not having the old behaviors it learned from the air/fuel conditions it previously had.

Edit: I finally got a check engine light this morning after driving it yesterday evening for a while and to work this morning. I can confirm that it's a COP that needs to be replaced as the problem moved from cylinder 3 to cylinder 2! Thank the Gods!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ulver

Ulver

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Alright, she's riding much smoother! Long term fuel trim has also improved after taking care of a couple vacuum leaks as well. Now I just need to knock out the catalytic inefficiencies and I'm HOPEFULLY good to go for the emissions test in August.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire