Aluminum Wheel Polish

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

buzzcon

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I know this isn't a 1st Gen specific question, but this is where I visit and review posts.

What products do you use to clean and protect your Aluminum rims? Once it actually warms up around here, I want to get the rims looking sharp. Looks like the guy that owned my 98 Exp didn't care how they looked.

I'm looking at Mothers Mag & Aluminum Polish. Anyone use this before? If not, what works for you?

Thanks!

BAD RONALD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I tried Mothers PowerMetal for aluminum. It turns out that I have coated rims and the product does not work. The directions on the bottle say to apply with a buffer until black residue appears then polish. If the black residue doesn't appear, you cannot polish the metal.

To remove the worst brake dust build up or clean just about anything, I use Superclean. Strong stuff that is not recommended for prolonged contact with aluminum. I use it on my rims without problems.

SuperClean Tough Task Cleaner-Degreaser 101723: Upgrade with the best General Purpose Cleaner at Advance Auto Parts

OP
OP
buzzcon

buzzcon

Full Access Members
Reaction score
OK, I used to use Super Clean years ago. I remember it cleans tar, bugs and grease with just a spray and rinse. For some reason I thought it wasn't made anymore. I bought a several gallons from Menards about 16 years ago in a clearance and thought it was a discontinued product. I used it to clean our trucks when I worked for Loomis Armored. Cleaned Aluminum nicely as well as white letters on tires!!!

If I remember correctly, it used to be made by Castrol.

My wheels have some black on them like they were in a fire of some kind.

Thanks for the tip!!

Last edited:

BAD RONALD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My wheels have some black on them like they were in a fire of some kind.

That's brake dust. Wait 'til you see the job SuperClean does on it. Best I've come across. I am in the cleaning/restoration business and use the stuff as needed but avoid inhaling for prolonged periods.

Walmart also sells superclean cheap.

OP
OP
buzzcon

buzzcon

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's brake dust. Wait 'til you see the job SuperClean does on it. Best I've come across. I am in the cleaning/restoration business and use the stuff as needed but avoid inhaling for prolonged periods.

Walmart also sells superclean cheap.

I don't believe its break dust. It looks like as if someone held a piece of wood in spots and just let it burn. It's not all over the wheel, just in spots. We will see, it is probably my imagination :pp:

I do remember the fumes it puts off. Nasty!

jbanks

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Have you tried to wax them? Something like Meguiar's cleaner wax or a mild rubbing compound.

OP
OP
buzzcon

buzzcon

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I haven't been able to try anything. I just bought my Expy on Dec 27th and it's been way too cold to attempt to clean the wheels. We've had 70 days this winter with below zero temps.

I plan on using Super Clean and then maybe some sort of wax or sealer to preserve the finish. Still researching as I have about 2 months before I will be able to try anything.

Thanks for the tip!!

BAD RONALD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When I rotate tires I superclean the back and insides of the rims. Spray, scrub with a brush and rinse. Regular cleaning during a carwash keeps them shiny. Routine maintenance, as with everything else is key.

Before superclean I could not get them as bright with scouring pads and a powerwasher.

I've heard of products that can be applied to provide a barrier that sheds brake dust. Reviews are mixed on effectiveness.

splintrcel

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You could always sand blast your rims and re paint them or polish them how ever you want. Takes way more time but you could start fresh. A glass bead would work great for aluminum. It wont modify any dimensions and technically you would even have to remove the tire from the rim.

OP
OP
buzzcon

buzzcon

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Finally found some Super Clean Foaming Wheel Cleaner and went to the car wash this morning. Here is the before and after. I want to try a brush with the cleaner when I can use my hose in front of the house. Looks like a seal might be bad. This was the worst wheel on my Expy.

Attachments

• before.jpg
    before.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 191
  • after.jpg
    after.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 130