Amusing observation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cmiles97

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 17 XLT expedition that was either a fleet or rental. It's been good. I knew what was in it when i bought it. No complaints but do find this amusing:

Today at a stop light waiting to turn left. There are 2 econo cars in front of me. A mazda 3 and a 4 door scion both have turn signal indicators in their side view mirrors. My bus doesn't. Did Ford simply cheap out? Why do I have a sunroof but only one auto down button out of 4? Is it really that much more expensive to make all 4 (on the driver's door) be auto? Why auto headlights but manual AC. Why did my last job provided Nissan NV200 econo (1/3 the size of an expedition) van have a larger reverse screen and 2 auto down and up window buttons? At least the Expy has the same tiny mirror within the side view mirror as the NV200 that is a substitute for blind spot monitoring. A recent low end model Prius rental had all 4 window buttons auto and auto climate control? Thank goodness it didn't have a side mirror turn signal led LOL.

I know Ford just wants to push buyers into higher trim models but having less features than $20k cars? Even though Ford make $10 - $15K in profit on each one and this one had a MSRP greater than $50K.

As I get older my mind tends to wander.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm still wondering wtf the hold up was on standard HID headlights. Heck they weren't even an option. :/

On a similar note, my wife's '09 Mazda is loaded to the gills and the reviews at the time commented on how upscale the interior is for it's price class. Nonetheless, for whatever reason, the damn thing is missing hood struts. My '00 Mountaineer had hood struts, but here I am propping up the hood on the this top trim Mazda with it's best-in-class interior. R&D thought the tiny blue light in the headliner that provides mood lighting for the cupholder was essential though. :p

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
When you buy an expedition, you are paying for metal. When you buy a little econo-box, you pay for Chinese electronics and plastic.

Metal costs more than LEDs.

I guess from a marketing standpoint, Ford doesn't need the electronic gimmicks to sell a three-ton utility truck. They sell without the goodies than an econobox needs to set it apart from the rest of the econoboxes.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 17 XLT expedition that was either a fleet or rental. It's been good. I knew what was in it when i bought it. No complaints but do find this amusing:

Today at a stop light waiting to turn left. There are 2 econo cars in front of me. A mazda 3 and a 4 door scion both have turn signal indicators in their side view mirrors. My bus doesn't. Did Ford simply cheap out? Why do I have a sunroof but only one auto down button out of 4? Is it really that much more expensive to make all 4 (on the driver's door) be auto? Why auto headlights but manual AC. Why did my last job provided Nissan NV200 econo (1/3 the size of an expedition) van have a larger reverse screen and 2 auto down and up window buttons? At least the Expy has the same tiny mirror within the side view mirror as the NV200 that is a substitute for blind spot monitoring. A recent low end model Prius rental had all 4 window buttons auto and auto climate control? Thank goodness it didn't have a side mirror turn signal led LOL.

I know Ford just wants to push buyers into higher trim models but having less features than $20k cars? Even though Ford make $10 - $15K in profit on each one and this one had a MSRP greater than $50K.

As I get older my mind tends to wander.
I'm still wondering wtf the hold up was on standard HID headlights. Heck they weren't even an option. :/

On a similar note, my wife's '09 Mazda is loaded to the gills and the reviews at the time commented on how upscale the interior is for it's price class. Nonetheless, for whatever reason, the damn thing is missing hood struts. My '00 Mountaineer had hood struts, but here I am propping up the hood on the this top trim Mazda with it's best-in-class interior. R&D thought the tiny blue light in the headliner that provides mood lighting for the cupholder was essential though. :p

Elementary:
Lack of options on Expeditions sells Navigators

....now if only someone could explain wtf Navigators have 4 fewer cupholders (none in the door pockets)???? THAT there is a true mystery.

PS sometimes, simplicity DOES have advantages though... Expedition SSV glass is plain and sturdy, Navigator "soundscreen" glass is premium-quiet but chips and sandblasts like a **** (almost as bad as stock BMW windscreens)

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Buy mirrors OEM or aftermarket with signals and they will work by just plugging them in.

I want less options that is why I like my XLT. All I required was 4wd and a backup camera. I’ll take care of the rest.
Mine does have a sunroof which is fine till it starts leaking.

I like my vehicles simple. Only thing else is I wish it had a manual transmission.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When you buy an expedition, you are paying for metal. When you buy a little econo-box, you pay for Chinese electronics and plastic.

Metal costs more than LEDs.

I guess from a marketing standpoint, Ford doesn't need the electronic gimmicks to sell a three-ton utility truck. They sell without the goodies than an econobox needs to set it apart from the rest of the econoboxes.

If people weren't seeking the electronic toys, Ford wouldn't keep eliminating the lower trim levels and making the upper trim more and more expensive. Good luck even finding one on a dealer lot spec'd as lowly as most rental vehicles. The fact that Ford has trailed GM in this class for so long and just now is pulling ahead - after they blinged the s**t out of the latest Expeditions - suggests that the fluff is pretty important to their target market. As an aside, many insurance companies class the Expedition as a luxury SUV as well.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It is an interesting observation but I would suggest looking at what Ford must do in offering those options as standard in Navigators....making a clear upgrade from the Expy.

I don't think the availability is limited by cost as much as leaving a way to add them to higher end models such as the Nag or other higher end vehicles.

JMHO.....

jeff

RustyOval

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Buy mirrors OEM or aftermarket with signals and they will work by just plugging them in.

I want less options that is why I like my XLT. All I required was 4wd and a backup camera. I’ll take care of the rest.
Mine does have a sunroof which is fine till it starts leaking.

I like my vehicles simple. Only thing else is I wish it had a manual transmission.

Id rather not even have a sunroof. I think it is a waste of money. If given a choice I would take second row captains chairs over a sunroof infinitely more times...

Dorzak

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2016 XLT EL that was a fleet sale and have blinkers on the mirrors.
Are you sure you have the original mirrors?

EDIT: I also have sound screen windshield.

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2016 XLT EL that was a fleet sale and have blinkers on the mirrors.
Are you sure you have the original mirrors?

EDIT: I also have sound screen windshield.

The signal mirrors are part of the 202A package on the XLT.

Also I believe the sound screen windshield is standard on all trims.
I have the lowly XLT, no signal mirrors, no upgrade package just the moon roof and have the sound screen.