Another dreaded Oil question.

Which oil do you use in your truck?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
A

andrew_s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My wife has had 2 hondas fed castrol gtx and one is at 100k and the other went 200k. The only 4eason we sold ot is she needed something bigger then a del sol for kids. So you wont find a castrol hater in me.

Im starting to recluse back into my mobile 1 self with alll these comments. Sure BITOG talk up pennzoil ultra bu m1 has been the life blood of many of my vehiles so might as welll stick with a tried and true oil plus its the same price as ultra and I'll have peace of mind. Not that its better but that its a known good.

From what I have read the modular engines just dont care about oil type just as long as you change it from time to time it will just run forever. I feel better about my purchase more and more everyday.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

01yellerCobra

Full Access Members
Reaction score
im going royal purple

Waste of money IMO. Especially on a stock motor.

I ran Mobil 1 for years with no issues. Main reason I stopped was the Cobra had an oil leak and buying synthetic was getting expensive. I switched to Motorcraft semi synthetic and haven't had any issues with any of my vehicles. I change all the vehicles around 5k miles.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

whowey

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Cool test... gonna have a tough time finding most of those in the US...Those are Australian blends.

Since I don't know what was used on the last oil change or the history of this truck... other than a fram orange oil filter. I went with Amsoil OE this time and a Napa Gold oil filter.

When I get ready for the next oil change, I will pull a UOA and then decide. But the plan is to go with Amsoil XL the next time for 10k, then possibly the Amsoil signature for a 25k run.

GaryH2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
M1 gets my vote and goes into everything I own. Over the past 10 yrs, I've had multiple Fords from new and they all received M1 at 3000mi and then I stretched interals to 6-7000 miles. Can't beat autozone when the special comes around, 5.25 qt jug and M1 extended performance filter...$35

Ditto on the M1. I also use a Mobil filter. I think it keeps the oil noticeably cleaner longer than other filters IMHO.

I get my oil tested every so often with Blackstone Labs. They show the additives still working at 5000 miles with regular M1 and recommended 6000 mile intervals. I am trying M1 EP this go and I'll have it tested to see how it looks. According to the test results, the 5.4 is still healthy at 140k and should last for many miles.

I like having Blackstone test the oil every so often. Being an independent lab, they have "no horse in the race" so to speak and will tell it like it is.

OP
OP
A

andrew_s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I need to find the sheet where it shows the ford modular engines being the least picky on oil. Basically the test said that the modular engines didnt give a damn what oil was in it so long as the oil was the right weight and changed on time.

Im going to do some more research on M1 EP vs M! regular and see what the real differences are as the price difference at walmart is negligible and for such little extra change I can have a slightly better oil. I still plan to keep the 5k OIC and I know that its over kill, but Im OCD about my oil and since I recycle it Im not feeling bad about using slightly more oil compared to a 7500 OIC.

As far as filters are concerned I use Mobile 1, Purolator pure one, WIX, and k and n. Also with now owning a ford I have used a motorcraft filter once and the only reaosn I may not use them again is that I have read the filter element on the previously mentioned filters are slightly better.

whowey

Full Access Members
Reaction score
K&N oil filters are made by Champion Labs, just like a ton of other filters. Just get yourself a good quality filter and skip the fancy name and welded nut.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Many filters may be made by a single company...its the specs that makes them different

Holy Rollerz Christian Car Club (HRC3)

Steph

Reaction score
My Expy has run nothing but Shell Rotella T 15W-40 since its scheduled maintenance ended. That’s all my father would put in it. It’s supposed to be for heavy-duty diesel motors, diesel generators, and construction equipment.

Since I took ownership, that’s what I keep in it. The Expy is closing in on almost 240,000 miles using the Rotella T, so I see no point in changing brands or grades now. It can’t be all that bad of an oil.

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
castrol gtx on everything from age of 16 and now im 47 never had a oil related problem ever even my tractor with a briggs 17.5 has 1300 hrs on it

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M Bennett