Another (slow) Build Thread...My 1997 Expedition XLT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

craig sargood

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am considering a few things for a lift:

1. Installing 3/2" lift using re-indexed torsion keys upfront, and either spacers of Ford F-250 springs in the rear.
2. Trying to figure out if I can mix & match a Rough Country 4" lift for an F150, and either 2" F250 springs or 4" springs for an Expy (eBay). Have to make sure what is used for a rear lift on an Expy, aside from springs (i.e., extended Sway bar links)
3. RCD 5" lift (this is the most expensive option), if I decide to spend that much just on a lift, but will take some time to save for this

Tires: Plan on running 35"or 37" Milestar Patagonia MTs due to their lighter weight - I'm okay with a little bit of trimming.

Gears: Will re-gear to 4.56 front/rear and install Truetrac posi in the front/Yukon posi in the rear

Bumpers: Considering front winch bumper from Blue Lake Offroad or Coastal Offroad. Rear bumper from Blue Lake Offroad - the Blue Lake and Coastal bumpers can be built to account for the 3" body lift. If I decide to just add a hitch mounted tire carrier, I will go with the WILCO Hitchgate Solo

Sliders: Looking at the XO-Fab 80" sliders with kick out - just have to find a someone who can weld them for me, locally

craig sargood

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I like your setup, I’ll be doing the same gears and lockers and tires in the near future. Not sure if you do you own work or not? But I see your local, if you need any help on anything,give me a shout. I could use some help with my gears and locker install. Maybe we can get out wheeling sometime

hammerg26

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I swapped in the junk yard grill, checked the fluids and tires, loaded up and took a week long trip to my parents' in the Lake Tahoe / Reno area. The Expy drove great and averaged 13.6 mpg, saw lots of snow (for me) driving through the Sierras.

One thing I found out was that the front heater stopped blowing hot air, but thank God for the rear heater (on HIGH). I spent some time looking through threads and it seems like it will be the blend door or the actuator - both inlet and outlet hoses were pretty warm, but not hot. Something else for me to do

Here's a pic on my way up north, and a pic a week later (yesterday) on my way back down to SoCal
View media item 7270View media item 7271

Nice looking rig.
Let me know what you end up doing on the heater issue - I have had the same challenges.
Thank goodness I am in N Ga.

OP
OP
LAexpy

LAexpy

Reaction score
I just returned from another week long trip to the Lake Tahoe/Reno area - 940 RT miles, but ended up putting about 1,200 miles over the course of the week. I keep the 3rd row seat in storage and loaded up the back full of our gear. The Expy drove great!
I averaged 13.8 mpg, which is actually good for the Year 1 1st Gen. Did some mild wheeling in loose dirt and some snow, and drove quite a bit in snow, rain and sleet, and the Expy really felt comfortable and stable. Bought some heated seat covers to help out with the lack of front heat, and it's not that bad combined with using the rear heat.

I noticed that my Expy is missing the front, transfer case, and gas tank skid plates. These must have been optional and I'm surprised that they were not part of the the 4x4 package - I do have an XLT, so there's that. I went to a Pick N' Pull in Carson City NV, and was able to have my pick of skids from ten 1st Gen Expeditions - I did not end up getting the gas tank skid plate as it looks like it is riveted. Can someone with a gas tank skid plate confirm this for me? Do I need to pull the complete gas tank and swap out?

While at the Pick N' Pull, I also found a very clean and lightly used 2nd row jump seat in Prairie Tan Euro Perforated Leather seat, so I took that and replaced mine that had a slight tear in it - it is so much cleaner than my other 2nd row seat and now I think I need to make another trip up North to get the other one at the salvage yard. I'll take a pic of it

Last edited:

hypercardriac

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just returned from another week long trip to the Lake Tahoe/Reno area - 940 RT, but ended up putting about 1,200 over the course of the week. I keep the 3rd row seat in storage and loaded up the back full of our gear. The Expy drove great!
I averaged 13.8 mpg, which is actually good for the Year 1 1st Gen. Did a some mild wheeling in loose dirt, drove quite a bit in snow, rain and sleet, and really felt comfortable and stable. Bought some heated seat covers to help out with the lack of front heat, and it's not that bad combined with using the rear heat.

I noticed that my Expy is missing the front, transfer case, and gas tank skid plates. These must have been an option and I'm surprised that they were not part of the the 4x4 models - I do have an XLT, so there's that. I went to a Pick N' Pull in Carson City NV, and was able to have my pick of skids from ten 1st Gen Expeditions - I did not end up getting the gas tank skid plate as it looks like it is riveted. Can someone with a gas tank skid plate confirm this for me? Do I need to pull the complete gas tank and swap out?

While at the Pick N' Pull, I also found a very clean and lightly used 2nd row jump seat in Prairie Tan Euro Perforated Leather seat, so I took that and replaced mine that had a slight tear in it - it is so much cleaner than my other 2nd row seat and now I think I need to make another trip up North to get the other one at the salvage yard. I'll take a pic of it

I was unaware the 1st gen came with skid plates, optional or not. Gonna have to do some shopping at our local pull and save to see what I can find. It would be cheaper than buying the materials to make them..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hammerg26

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was unaware the 1st gen came with skid plates, optional or not. Gonna have to do some shopping at our local pull and save to see what I can find. It would be cheaper than buying the materials to make them..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eddie Bauer Editions came with them, I believe.
I am blessed to have them on mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
LAexpy

LAexpy

Reaction score
I was unaware the 1st gen came with skid plates, optional or not. Gonna have to do some shopping at our local pull and save to see what I can find. It would be cheaper than buying the materials to make them.

I'll take a pic of the front skid plate which was in great condition -- no dings, scrapes, or gouges -- that I ended up lightly sanding and painting with matte black paint. All of Expy's at this Pick N' Pull were 4x4 models, and 8 of the 10 had skid plates - mostly XLT models, but also some EBs. The remaining two without skid plates were XLT models.

The skid plate is attached by six 10mm bolts, but I didn't think about grabbing the nut adjusting screw [Part No.:-N803714-S426 (Replaced by: -N803714-S439)]. Thought my Expy would have them, but it doesn't which confirms that my Expy was not ordered with skid plates from the factory - kind of dumb of the original owner. I'm going to order 8 of them (come in packs of 4) for $11.80 (+ tax), from here:
https://www.fordpartsgiant.com/online/shopping/cart?previousURL=https://www.fordpartsgiant.com/parts-list/1997-ford-expedition--8_cyl_5_4l-4at_e4od/frame_exhaust_system_springs/skid_plates.html?pnc=5B018

OP
OP
LAexpy

LAexpy

Reaction score
Here's a pic of the front skid plate that attaches beneath the radiator and to the front cross member. I degreased it, lightly sanded with steel wool, and gave it 3 coats of matte black paint

View media item 7311

OP
OP
LAexpy

LAexpy

Reaction score
Yup, that's what I also need. I thought I had one, until I got under my truck and noticed there were none. I saw several of them at the salvage yard, but I wanted to get more info on them before I attempted to have to drop the entire gas tank. I wanted to know how the skid plate was attached and whether it was separate from the gas tank, as there appears to be very little room to get to the brackets holding the tank.

Last edited: