Another (slow) Build Thread...My 1997 Expedition XLT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bilman72

Reaction score
I swapped in the junk yard grill, checked the fluids and tires, loaded up and took a week long trip to my parents' in the Lake Tahoe / Reno area. The Expy drove great and averaged 13.6 mpg, saw lots of snow (for me) driving through the Sierras.

One thing I found out was that the front heater stopped blowing hot air, but thank God for the rear heater (on HIGH). I spent some time looking through threads and it seems like it will be the blend door or the actuator - both inlet and outlet hoses were pretty warm, but not hot. Something else for me to do

Here's a pic on my way up north, and a pic a week later (yesterday) on my way back down to SoCal
View media item 7270View media item 7271

Bilman72

Reaction score
Did you ever figure out what was wrong with front heater? I just started having the same issue.

OP
OP
LAexpy

LAexpy

Reaction score
Did you ever figure out what was wrong with front heater? I just started having the same issue.

Yes, it's the actuator motor - I bought a Dorman replacement, but still haven't installed it as I need to remove the center console to get to it. Haven't had the time. It's not my daily driver, so I don't have any urgency. I will probably also flush out the heater core, just for good measure, as this Expy is ~24yrs old

OP
OP
LAexpy

LAexpy

Reaction score
I like your setup, I’ll be doing the same gears and lockers and tires in the near future. Not sure if you do you own work or not? But I see your local, if you need any help on anything,give me a shout. I could use some help with my gears and locker install. Maybe we can get out wheeling sometime

Craig - Thanks for the offer. I try to do as much of my own work, but have taken my other vehicles (87 Jeep YJ, 2010 Jeep JK, and 82 K5 Blazer) to local shops (Azusa) for gears and locker installs - seems a bit out of my mechanical league. As for wheeling, I'm trying to join one of the Dirt Nation outings, but want to get the Expy set up a bit better.

OP
OP
LAexpy

LAexpy

Reaction score
I haven't really been able to do much to the Expy, as some ******* stole my tools from behind the driver's seat. Toolbox had all my extensions, breaker bar, torque wrench, set of 1/2" deep sockets, 1/2" and two 3/4" ratchets and various key sockets and other stuff - I was planning another trip up to my parents to hit the junk yard for a few more parts that I want. Still upset about it. They tried stealing my double-DIN radio, but just broke the cover that goes over the vents stereo and A/C controls.

Anyhow, I had a misfire on number 8 cylinder, so I ended up paying someone to change out the plugs and coil packs. Not really upset about it as I hear the No. 8 COP and plug are difficult to get to.

Hope to replace my tools and get back to doing some more stuff to the Expy