Any idea what's leaking?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

08navigator

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Feels like grease but looks like it's sprayed all over under on that side of the suv. Front diff fluid?
f3b3c9a4b5c896d903653646abe1b428.jpg
807c9d65a91a0193ecaca11c07462815.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

OP
OP

08navigator

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Negative on the gravel road. The dealership replaced the driveshaft seal right next to this boot about 5k miles ago. We just took a trip and put 3500 miles on the navigator. I had my neighbor take a look and it looks like the driveshaft boot grease seal is split open and slinging grease. I've had that cover over that area the entire time so there's no possible way something hit that. Also, it's contained in the driveshaft hub area. Can't wait to hear what Ford says about this one.

Does anyone know where to get that grease boot? Just in case Ford doesn't want to cover it. 2015 navigator 46k miles

max78

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Your CV axle is flinging grease as it rotates. Your rubber boot there has a crack or is loose.

Replace the rubber, or the whole axle depending on cost and mileage.

Edit: guess I should have read the last post. . . AND I was wrong, that's not an axle, doh!

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It looks like a very even and distinct spray pattern

Something spinning and spraying from one hole. You can trace that line to its origin.

OP
OP

08navigator

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah we tracked it down. I'm having trouble finding the boot anywhere though. I'll see what the dealer says and go from there. Thanks for the help!

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
I believe the boot's a dealer-only part, unless you replace the entire axle with some Mexican rebuild. The boots usually come with the band clamp, which is (or was, not sure of the newer ones) crimped with the same tool that crimps PEX plumbing fitting bands. I've seen boots put on with tie-wraps, but not sure if that seals as well.

When they leak, practice calls for replacing the entire axle, as it's assumed that water has contaminated the joint. You should check the shop manual to see if they consider the boot to be a serviceable part on its own.

OP
OP

08navigator

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks Trainmaster. Hopefully Ford covers this. There is no possible way something hit that boot considering this is the front driveshaft boot which faces the rear, it's set inside of the steel surround and there's a cover over all of it. We shall see.