Any Off-roaders / wheelers in Expedition ELs? Can we expand the parts aftermarket?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I like the machined face on the white body. There are so many black wheels available these days, but I didn't want to do black on white. The only downside to these wheels is that they are only rated for 2,500 lb load each. This is enough for the GVWR and both GAWR's... but makes me leery to abuse them much (e.g. high-speed pre-running, or steep 2- or 3- wheel crawling).

Photo with the running boards (now removed). It almost looked lowered...
View attachment 26757

More pics here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/a7eBUo7ZGuxqR9vv6

Those Tyger bars look more like running boards/steps - may not be robust enough to be used as sliders?

Wheels look great!
I am not a fan of black wheels either.
My Expedition is Silver I would be going with a gunmetal or graphite wheel of I do swap them.

Going to do my grill and rear hatch Expedition chrome bar is graphite also the chrome on the door handles. So the wheels would blend nicely.

Any slider I get or am able to fit will be coated with LineX so they will be far stronger than how I receive them.

OP
OP
shinysideup2

shinysideup2

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Patsfan4lif

Reaction score
I like the machined face on the white body. There are so many black wheels available these days, but I didn't want to do black on white. The only downside to these wheels is that they are only rated for 2,500 lb load each. This is enough for the GVWR and both GAWR's... but makes me leery to abuse them much (e.g. high-speed pre-running, or steep 2- or 3- wheel crawling). To be honest, the primary reason I went with these wheels was the price. They're on closeout right now... https://www.methodracewheels.com/co...tte-black-machined-face?variant=9129287581732

Photo with the running boards (now removed). It almost looked lowered...
View attachment 26757

More pics here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/a7eBUo7ZGuxqR9vv6

Those Tyger bars look more like running boards/steps - may not be robust enough to be used as sliders?
Not sure what to think about these wheels.. what else drew you to them besides the price?

OP
OP
shinysideup2

shinysideup2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not sure what to think about these wheels.. what else drew you to them besides the price?
The Method brand (reputable off road) and the fact that they're not black. I wanted a light colored wheel for my white vehicle. They're larger than I would have gotten for mostly off-roading, but I stayed with 20" and E load rating on the tires because towing stability was a priority (shorter, stiffer sidewall). Not many other options for cheap truck wheels from a well known brand in a light color.

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
@Black - what were your findings on the F150 slider fitment to our EL's ?

I'm so tempted to just go this route... 90" Universal sliders with Gussets http://www.chassisunlimited.com/rock-slider-kit.html
View attachment 26760

Next length up is 96" which would be a problem for us.

His truck is a 2018 thought it was a 2016 but the board length was 91” the mounting points are completely different and will not work what so ever. An earlier truck may have similar mounting but don’t know anyone off hand that has one for me to measure.

The Universal 90” is going to be the easiest route. Not exactly what I was wanting but better than my old flimsy plastic OEM boards. The 90” boards will only leave a 1.5” gap at the front and rear which won’t look bad at all.

I think I will have a plates with studs welded to the frame so I can bolt the sliders on for easier removal instead of welding the plate to the frame.

I prefer the square main tube model.
http://www.chassisunlimited.com/product/armor-bumpers/rock-sliders/rock-slider-kit-sqaure.html

Depending upon where the steps line up with the doors I will likely have some more plates added to the top so the boys little feet can’t slip through.

It will likely be the first of the year before I can put some money to these as I have to do the suspension first as I have a leaking shock.

Sorry for the side bar Shiney but do you actually live in Liberia?

OP
OP
shinysideup2

shinysideup2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sorry for the side bar Shiney but do you actually live in Liberia?
Thanks again for the info. I didn't see the square tube ones. I'd prefer square tube as well. Thanks for the pointer on that.
I live in Monrovia, CA :) I guess I should change my profile.

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks again for the info. I didn't see the square tube ones. I'd prefer square tube as well. Thanks for the pointer on that.
I live in Monrovia, CA :) I guess I should change my profile.

I figured the was a city or two in the states named that but first thing that popped into my head was the capitol of Liberia.
The.
Is it just me or do those center gussets look like they're just plate steel? I'm used to seeing steel tube used on the center gussets with plate on top, not plate used as the gussets.

The steel plates are boxed so that will certainly add plenty of strength compared to just a flat plate welded to the top of the bars.

Muddy Bean

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How would you rate the K02's in the snow on the heavy EL compared to other A/T or snow tires you've used?

The KO2’s are by far my fav tire. Very tough, quiet, decent ride, good treadwear life, and absolutely amazing traction in snow. Truly boring. I’ve used grapplers, and some other a/t tires and always came back to the KO2. Can’t recommend them enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I came across this universal kit.
http://shop-xo-fab-com.3dcartstores.com/Fully-Welded-with-Bump_c_278.html
It is a bit simpler and lots cheaper. 80” is their longest stocked kit but say they do customs lengths.
Reached out to them to see the cost for a 92” kit.
I’d add some plates to the top for better footing and have them coated with LineX and welded on for not much more in cost than the Chassis Unlimited ones bare I am guessing.

I like the tail bump personally but they are available without the bump if you prefer a symettrical look.