2011 EL 4wd completely inoperable

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nonsense

Reaction score
I've had nothing but problems with this truck's "4wd" system for the last few years.

First issue in 2014 was when it started shaking and stuttering when in 4A and turning. Took it to the dealer who said that the electronic module was bad and caused the 4wd to be on all the time, thus destroying the clutches in the transfer case. After much arguing about what a "drivetrain warranty" is I was "only" out about $450. Replaced the electronic module and rebuilt the t-case.

About one year later the same thing happened again, this time I took it to a different dealer who said it was the same thing (bad electronic module) and it once again destroyed the clutches. After telling my story and them knowing it was rebuild only a year before this dealer actually covered the full repair. Replaced the module, rebuild the t-case.

A few months later I got the grind when going from 2H to 4A. At the same time I noticed I was having trouble going up a very steep gravel driveway even in 4wd. I thought it was odd, but maybe related to the grind (not engaging the front wheel). I paid to have dealer #2 replace the IWE (still makes a bit of noise so I only switch when stopped, but mostly drive in 2H anyway).

The next winter I got stuck going up a snowy hill on 4A. The back wheels started to spin so much that the traction control kicked in and killed all forward motion. Tries 4H and 4L and got nothing but spinning rear tires. I thought maybe it was me, got unstuck and never thought much about it.

Last spring I was driving on a rainy day in the back country when I made a wrong turn. I made a u-turn and backed the rear wheels slightly off the road. The rears started to sink a little when I went to pull out and they just sat there and spun (in 4A). So now I try 4H, surely with the fronts on a bit of wet pavement it'll pull out, right? Nope. 4H and 4L were just 2wd with the extra weight to carry around.

So I start doing the rounds of testing. Jack the front up and test that both IWEs are working when motor is off, motor is on, in 2H, 4A, 4H, 4L. They're engaged when they're supposed to be and not when they aren't.

Next I check to see if the transfer case motor is working. I hear it click when switching from 4A to 4H and again going into 4L. In 4L I have the low gearing so I know that the t-case is being switched. Next I put the whole thing on jack stands and run the truck in gear. In 4A it never really engages the front wheels. Every once in a while it will slightly turn them. I'm thinking maybe it's an electronic module issue with deciding when to engage the t-case. So I try 4H and it's the same damn thing. Backs are spinning and the fronts barely move at all. I thought that this is a mechanical lock, but maybe not? I'm not sure how Ford's transfer case works (all I I know is that it doesn't work).

This sounds like a bad clutch pack to me. The tough thing is when did it go bad? It's been almost 3 years since the last rebuild so Ford isn't going to help, but should I really need to rebuild this POS every year or two? I'm about done with this truck. I feel like taking it on it's last off-road expedition and accidentally forgetting to put it in park next to a cliff.

Any suggestions on what to look at next (other than the bank to pay to rebuild yet another t-case)?