Any solutions to WAZE going crazy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

allaneyre

Reaction score
I had this issue too. I was using Google Maps and it would show me off the road, like I was a thousand feet left or right of the actual location. I tried moving the phone and disconnecting and re-connecting. The Google Maps app worked just fine in the phone on its own, but wasn't happy when I connected to the car via USB. Only way I could get it to correct itself was to do a soft reset of the head unit (use the power and skip buttons together for a few seconds) or reboot the phone. Maps hasn't gone crazy in a long time. Only thing that's happened since are either phone/app updates or making sure Sync was on the latest version.

OP
OP
J

jimmyjess

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies, as explained before, GOOGLE MAPS works perfectly in my phone as wella as in the head unit when using AA, but WAZE, while working perfectly in my phone, goes GPS bananas while connected to the head unit using AA. I was the first customer to report this to my Ford dealer to see if he have had any other customers with these, which he hadn't when I called, but a couple of weeks ago he called me to ask if I had found a solution because other new Ford customers were calling him with the same WAZE issue. So, no, our phones are not the problem, both navigation apps work perfect on the phones as well as in Android Auto in other vehicles, the problem is exclusively on WAZE when connected to Sync.

Mr Big

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies, as explained before, GOOGLE MAPS works perfectly in my phone as wella as in the head unit when using AA, but WAZE, while working perfectly in my phone, goes GPS bananas while connected to the head unit using AA. I was the first customer to report this to my Ford dealer to see if he have had any other customers with these, which he hadn't when I called, but a couple of weeks ago he called me to ask if I had found a solution because other new Ford customers were calling him with the same WAZE issue. So, no, our phones are not the problem, both navigation apps work perfect on the phones as well as in Android Auto in other vehicles, the problem is exclusively on WAZE when connected to Sync.
NEW version of WAZE not working on Android Auto
This is the last post on the WAZE forum:

Re: New version - not working in Android Auto!?​

by world_vs85a966 Tue Aug 08, 2023 7:45 am
I had the same issue and realised that if I open Waze on my phone while connected to Android Auto then I have no GPS issues.

The next thing I did is to go to App Permissions and allow Waze to use location all the time (rather than just when using the app).

Now it works as it used to.

The might be an integration issue between Android OS and Android Auto. It's almost like Android OS doesn't understand the Waze is being used in Android Auto so it doesn't give it the right permissions.

Mack444

Reaction score
So this is at least 2x here of a suggestion to check in the phone settings and change to allow location all of the time. I wonder if @jimmyjess will take the advice…

Fastcar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had that happen once, a year ago. Was in DC and heading for Fort Mead and waze went nuts for about 15 minutes. Shut it off, shut off the phone, shut down the truck and it continued. My belief was with all the antennas and dish's and God knows what else the alphabet group were playing with caused the problem.

Mr Big

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So this is at least 2x here of a suggestion to check in the phone settings and change to allow location all of the time. I wonder if @jimmyjess will take the advice…
There's also a known issue with WAZE and Android Auto, which is why I stick with Google Maps because it always works. I feel Google Maps keeps their maps and app updated better.
But we all have our preferences.