Anyone changed valve cover gaskets on the 5.4?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mikiedoo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just noticed that my valve cover gasket on the passenger side appears to be leaking oil.
Am I gonna have to take off anything like fuel rail , ac lines etc... to get to it?
Also what type gaskets do you reccomend. Felpro ?

Thank in advance guys.

ydopen

Full Access Members
Reaction score
mine seam to be seaping but no drip or oil smell from the exhaust, the back coil i changed on that side was a sob so im gonna let it go till it wont hold oil at all

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
Mikiedoo, I am not trying to scare you, but are you sure that it is the valve cover that is leaking. It is a known problem with the 5.4L motors that the back edge of the passenger head will develop leaks (due to the heat concentration in that area). This normally shows itself when the head gasket starts to fail and it allows the oil to leak out.

As for getting the valve cover off, it isn't hard, but you will need to be creative with getting at the bolts. There isn't a lot of room to get in there. But, once you get the bolts off, lift straight up and the valve covers will come off.

OP
OP
Mikiedoo

Mikiedoo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks thermo,
Mine is leaking at the front inside corner ( nearest the radiator / intake )

Im hoping its just the valve cover, but will keep my eye out for the head gasket. My coolant seems clear so far...crosses fingers that its not a head gasket.

I will keep you informed, but will be late next week before I start work on it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmdunham2