Anyone created a 4th Gen Noise Reference Topic?

Is something like this useful for members?

• Sure, why not?

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Nope, no need.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey All,

Curious if anyone has ever created a useful noise reference, with possible examples and fixes? Even if they are dealer visits with parts etc, would be nice to have. Maybe even a standard format would make it nice to read through. And the idea being, that if you get a good diagnosis and possibly a fix, come update your post.

For me, this is my first Ford and First EcoBoost, it makes a crap ton of noises that none of my previous vehicles have made, including previous turbos. So besides the highly addictive turbo whine, I'll start with one and see if anyone has heard it and know about it.

Vehicle Description:
2019 Expedition standard chassis - tow package, AFE Intake, Mishimoto SS intercooler, RCI skids, RC lights, around 10K miles
Sound Description:
During heavy acceleration while moving (say from 20 to 40 quickly), I can hear a clicking sound, almost like a solenoid engaging and disengaging, but when it clicks, you can feel a bit of a loss of power, which comes back with a second or two. It's pretty loud, can hear it with both windows down. Could this be wastegate? My previous turbos didn't click, but you could hear the pressure blowoff.
Example:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1q7nF-cTC3d4RzQgISvk72f8KHJYUYTDc/view?usp=sharing
In this clip, the sounds happen at around the 2 and 3 second marks. Sorry, there is obviously a lot of wind noise, hanging a phone out of the window but you can hear it faintly.
Additional notes:
I am presently having DTC's quite often, so far it seems to have happened after a major transmission gear slamming event, but since then, I've now had at least one DTC (P130D:00) event every time I've been driving on the highway, and every time it was when the vehicle was shifting from 10th to 9th and accelerating. But at highway speeds I can't hear if this clicking is happening then or not.

Last edited: