Anyone experience a 'brake fade' kind of feel?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CubSmurf

Reaction score
2017 XLT

I was out for a quick trip for lunch (truck been sitting all morning) and I noticed my brake pedal felt slightly 'different'. The pedal travel seemed slightly longer but it still stopped just fine.

To be safe, I stopped by the dealer and they checked out the brakes and saw nothing out of the ordinary except some dirty fluid. Plenty of pads front and rear.

I remember seeing another member have a story about losing fluid with no apparent leak.

So I had them flush the brake fluid and went on my way.

I don't know if I'm losing it or what. Anyone seen this?

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Could be several things or could be nothing. Could be a worn seal in the master cylinder, though that should have lit the brake light. Could be an antilock brake issue, or a vacuum issue.

Many drivers notice that the brakes in these trucks are somewhat "spongy". In addition to several service issues, the somewhat unusual pedal feel is characteristic of this vehicles.

If you continue to have issues, you may wish to check the front brake hoses among the usual culprits. They can deteriorate internally and cause the described problem.

OP
OP
C

CubSmurf

Reaction score
Thanks, Train! No error messages. I'll just keep an eye on it for now.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It could be the brakes themselves as well. We put a set of Raybestos on my wife's car a few years ago and the brakes went from buttery smooth to super spongy. Would never buy those again.

IIGood

Reaction score
Many drivers notice that the brakes in these trucks are somewhat "spongy". In addition to several service issues, the somewhat unusual pedal feel is characteristic of this vehicles.

This is somewhat "comforting" to hear. I've owned my 2010 for a year and a half and the brake pedal has always felt a bit soft (though if I let off the brakes and then immediately reapply them, the pedal firms up a bit). But the brakes are always responsive. I just had the truck in for another maintenance service and while it was there, I asked them to check the brake pads...I haven't had the brakes done since I've owned it, and I have no idea when they were last services, so at 167K+ miles I figured I'd at least have them checked. The shop said the pads still had plenty of material left so I felt a bit better.

MADEXP

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Interesting post and timely...yes, I had the dealer replace all rotors and brake pads bc of the strange pedal which I could not describe to the dealer, but the tech agree with me. After all the work done, I think the "feel" is gone.

Last edited: