Anyone gone from Minivan to Expedition Max?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You might be on to something...same mpg, same tow, same price

Kinda looks the same too
https://www.google.com/amp/s/conten...onda-odyssey-whats-difference-281474979904806

...well color me shocked. I always thought MDX looked pretty solid and imposing.
And, much like how Chrysler created the original minivan based on the K-car platform, they're all essentially Accords with different body styles. Similarly, the Sienna, Highlander, and Lexus RX* are all variants of the Camry.
*I think the latest version of the RX may have its own platform, but I'm not certain on that.

EngRWW33

Reaction score
My wife went from a 2015 Sienna to the 2018 Expy Max Platinum. Behind the third row is where space really mattered to her and so far the Expy has proved to have more useful space, but we have not taken it on a legit road trip yet. She loves the new car, although some of that is "new car syndrome." I think the verdict is still out on practicality of the Expedition vs Sienna.

I am an "outdoor enthusiast" and we as a family go biking, kayaking, hiking, etc. often (once/twice a week). The Expy provides a better platform for hauling bikes/gear where the Sienna fell short. Adding a hitch to the Sienna caused us to drag the rear hitch in way too many places in Western PA. Even out of our own driveway unless we were paying extra close attention.

I personally liked the Sienna better, but that is because it was paid for and the Expy is not yet. :)

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This spring I did mountain bike trip with some buddies. 5 adult males, 4 mountain bikes on a rack off the back, roof top box and a bike on the roof. In a honda mini van. It got better gas mileage than my expedition (averaged over 24mpg) and was easy in and out for all the adults and I was relatively comfortable the whole drive (Salt Lake to Vancouver Island BC).

I am way too cool to drive a minivan though so I will keep the expedition. (Really, I just have a camper I have to pull that exceeds the limit of the minivan). If I didn't need to tow I would be in a minivan.

keny01998

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Friends dont let friends drive minivans! :party36:

I say that but mynold MDX was essentially a honda odyssey and I couldn't stand it. I have 2 kids 6 and 3 and both can climb in to the Expy just fine.

I just upgraded from 2017 MDX to 2019 Exp and I couldn't be satisfied more. I have 4 kids and 2 older ones (12, 11) had to sit in the back of the MDX and they hate it. There are no leg room and AC vents in 3rd row. It's getting uncomfortable after a while.

OP
OP
H

Husker4theSpurs

Reaction score
Well everyone ... just back from a road trip for a family wedding in our 2018 Chrysler Pacifica Limited (all options) while considering all mentioned here. There were 5 of us ... 2 being toddlers. My wife rode in the 3rd row and I folded/stored the short side of the rear seat so we had a flat space for changing a diaper, etc. Our other adult was in the front passenger seat. Kids were in the captain's chairs in their car seats (18 mos & 3 1/2 yrs).

As I was packing the car with our (fairly sanely packed) belongings, I was already saying to myself "Gonna have to order that Navigator L/Expedition Max ASAP!" although I'm not firmly convinced the Max would have that much more overall cargo space than a minivan behind the 3rd row (just shaped differently?). I can see how a large family with either car still often have a cargo carrier on top.

We averaged 29.5 mpg at 70-75 mph for the whole trip and that had me thinking "maybe we need to just hang onto this thing."

Had to take a poorly maintained gravel/sand road due to unexpected road construction and running late to a rehearsal dinner and I was saying "wish I had that Navigator now." Also had to pull into a field that was really bumpy and the ground clearance was an issue ("need that Max"). This wedding was on our family ranch and it's a trip I will be making 4 times a year or so with my immediate family.

So, I'm still pretty confused for the time being. The kicker may be that we can get a bench seat in the Max/L for the 2nd row and put the extra adult in that row (with the two kids) while still having the panoramic moonroof (if you get a bench in the 2nd row in a minivan, you can't get the pano moonroof). Plus the Max/L is a little wider in that 2nd row area.

But then at the end of the trip ... 2 toddlers without naps for two days and poor nights of sleep in a hotel ... lots of anxiety and exhausting running around I said to myself "who the F am I kidding? We're not going on any more trips!!" :)

Thanks again everyone for the feedback ... we may stay in a holding pattern and see what the GM remodel has to offer as well ... maybe there's a bit of a refresh in order for the Nav/Exp in 2021 model year to keep "ahead" of the remodeled GMs? My impulse is ... I'm tired of driving a minivan ... give me the full size SUV!

Shutterbug57

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm gonna echo pretty much everything said in here so far. I switched my family cruiser/wife's vehicle from a '14 Sienna SE to a '19 Limited Max a few weeks ago and she absolutely loves it and so do I. We do miss the sliding doors for the laziness of letting the kids just rush out and for tight parking, but those aren't too much of a big deal as we, like many others, just park a bit further out, and assist the littles in getting out.

In regards to kids, I have 5 boys... Ages 7,5,3,2 and 4mo. We got the captains chairs so every seat is full. The only issue we've ran into so far is in the 3rd row. We haven't figured out how to put the 2 backed boosters in with forward facing harness seat. The 2 in boosters have a hard time clicking their belts in because they are flush with the seats and slightly under the harness sest vs sticking up like they were in the sienna. Also, I wish I could disable the power reclining 3rd row seats as kids like to push buttons and that doesn't work too well with car seats.

I also wanted to add a different angle than some have posted about their kids having a hard time getting into the expedition. All of my boys, except for the baby obviously, can get into mine just fine. We found this to be the case with the models that have the power steps as they come down a lot further than the fixed running boards. My younger boys couldn't get into the XLT models without help.

Our main deciding factors were snow, ground clearance, towing and technology. The presence is much better, but parking takes a little more thought as the hood is much larger.

You might want to try some seatbelt extenders. Get the hard ones and the buckles will be high enough for the kids to use. I had to do this in a Jeep Grand Cherokee, it worked great.