Anyone have a stock 97 - 98 grill?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
I hate my fake billet grill and it's time to make a change.

Does anyone have a stock grill for a 97 or 98 that is in good condition?

Remo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I do not have a grille for you, so I cannot help, but I was wondering which grille you have and why you hate it.

Is it a one-piece grille/surround made of chrome plated plastic?

That's what I have and I'm starting to hate mine, too.
The finish is chipping off in some spots (mainly the edges/corners of the bars in the grille).
Also, my chrome is starting to dull right below where the front edge of the hood meets the fender (which also happened on my OEM chrome grille and is why I replaced that one with this one).

Anyway, I was curious if we were having the same problems and I figured it would be helpful to others to know which products to avoid and why.

I sure do wish I had an OEM painted grille/surround like the Eddie Bauers and Sports.
If anyone has painted an OEM chrome grille surround, let me know and let's start a new thread with a how to!

Also, Tonydiv, ebay and LMC truck both have original and aftermarket grilles for our trucks and the prices don't seem to be that bad. Otherwise, look at the dealership or junkyard for an OEM one. Good luck!

OP
OP
tonydiv

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
Yea, they did a lousy job plating this thing. It will turn green if I don't clean it weekly because of the copper layer that is exposed on the top and bottom of the "bars". It's only about 2 years old (if the previous owner is to be believed) and it's about shot.

I thought about getting a Bauer style one. But there is already just way too much white on my truck already. Although, I did see one with the white grill and a white powder coated prerunner bar that looked kind of cool. I could even have LMC send me the painted front bumper and do it white too. Or maybe not.

lakesidebluexpy

Reaction score
tonydiv-

let me tell you what i have and maybe it will help you-

i have a '97 eb expy. i hated what i considered to be the silly inverted c shape in the grill. didn't see a reason for it and thought it just looked weird. what to do....

no billet grill- too common. so soon after purchase began looking at alternatives. our expy grill and f150 grills of the same years are basically the same and are constructed in 2 parts- a grill surround (could be body color or chrome) and the grill insert. the two pieces are then plastic welded together. thats all they are. so, i separated an f150 grill insert out of a wreck, painted it to match my moonlight blue expy, and plastic welded it into my expy grill surround.

the result is very pleasing- the f150 insert is recessed further back in the expy surround and i find the "X" shaped openings of the f150 insert more pleasing than the stock expy squares. by the way the insert fits perfectly- even the location of the stock insert plastic tabs is exactly the same. never have seen another expy with this type of grill treatment. while i used my body colored eb expy surround, i presume an xlt chrome surround would essentially be the same.

long story short, i have my old stock '97 eb grill insert. if it will help you (obviously you would need to use your surround or find another like it), lets talk.

lakeside