Anyone install a cargo area lock switch in their Expy?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WECole

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My old '96 Explorer had a power lock switch back in the cargo area and my 1998 Expedition doesn't. Having that switch was really convenient so I've decided to install one, but I'm curious if anyone has ever done this before? I searched the forums but didn't find anything useful...

IL67BP

Reaction score
Cool idea.. I remember my brothers mountaineer had one he used it all the time

98EXPY 5-0

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My buddy's Tahoe has that. I was just thinking about trying to add one earlier today.

rex450se

Full Access Members
Reaction score
mind me asking what is a cargo area lock switch?

It's so when the last place you were at in the car was the cargo area you can still lock the truck up. Say you get out and shut your door. Go around to the cargo area to retrieve what ever you have back there and then are done. If you don't have keyless remotes, or already put your keys in your pocket you could just hit the lock button and shut the hatch. If you do it when you exit the truck then you have to unlock the back to open it back up, defeating the purpose of locking it when you exit the driver's seat. If you don't have keyless remote's you have to go back up to one of the front doors to then lock the doors. I think they assume they would all mostly have keyless remotes as to the reason our Expedition's don't have them yet the smaller Explorer's and Mountaineer's do.

Victor

alaskanexpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
come to think of it i've never used this in any of my explorers. but since i have remote starts on everything and alarms on some i always use the key fob as habit.

OP
OP
WECole

WECole

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not sure what the reasoning is behind not putting them in, but I know I miss not having one. When you're taking stuff out of the back (like that last load of groceries when it's raining) it's really nice being able to hit the lock button back there instead of having to go to one of the front doors. -Yeah, there's the keyless remote, but honestly, I never remember to use the silly thing.

thegeneral

Reaction score
I would think you could pop open either back door panel, splice into the lock switch, and run it to the back with a rocker pushbutton switch.

I'm sure you could order a door switch from FORD and cut a hole in the back to fit it.

OP
OP
WECole

WECole

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well, what I have in mind is using the rear cargo lock switch from a Ford Explorer ($10-20 on eBay). I'm going to cut a hole in the cargo area around the same place as an Explorer's switch is located, then tie the wires into the master lock switch wiring for the driver's side door. I'm just trying to decide how best to run the wires from the back driver-side cargo area to the driver-side dash area without having to tear out a lot of interior panels to do it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thegerb50